Brewery (HO scale)

Yannis

Hi all,

Following the discussion and the great help i got from fellow members in this thread

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?39052-Brewery-Questions

I started off with using the Champion packing plant from walthers and kitbashed it to a medium sized brewery. Lots of work is still required till i reach the finish line. The brewery is supposedly located in the general area of north San Diego, in the mid sixties.

The rear and side walls of the kit have been cut to various pieces in order to create a bottling plant extension to the right of the main building. Cutting was also required in order to arrange doors so that they match 50' boxcars. To the left of the main building i used the walls of the smaller building of the kit (boiler room i think it was or something) in order to expand the main and create office and other auxiliary spaces.

Cutting walls, merging, correcting, rescribing and adding styrene were required all along the construction. The rear walls are made using 2mm styrene, they are not yet cemented into place. Internal bracing will be used (styrene I-beams) in order to make all this more solid. Some leftover silos from the cement plant project are put into place to the left of the building for grain storage. These will be cut to be made shorter and will be blended with the rest of the building.

So front wall (Going from left to right: administrative space / main brewery / bottling). Since this is over 30" long i braced it internally with aluminium beams epoxied into place.

Brewery2.JPG

Placed on the layout temporarily without any cars

Brewery3.JPG

With some boxcars placed in spots (6-9 spots for 50' boxcars in the three parallel tracks, ie 3 rows of 3 cars, 40' boxcar spots for grain unloading, spent grain loading again 40' boxcar, gondola spot for broken glass etc.)

Brewerywithcars.JPG

Thanks for looking
Yannis

Very cool, this will be fun to follow, thanks for sharing your work!

Will there be free samples at the grand opening?

Will there be free samples at the grand opening?

Of course Louis!

Next step is internal reinforcements for the building and adding up some brick pillars to the exterior in order to change the architecture a bit more at some points.

I wonder about the loading deck, would concrete make more sense or wooden deck (leaning towards the easiest solution which would be concrete)?

Yannis I don't know much about breweries in particular, but I am very familiar with loading docks. I was an Industrial mechanic for many years.

I have never seen a wooden deck. The fork trucks I have worked on have 4000lb and up counter weights. Double the counter weight + the chassis, mast, engine, transmission and all the rest and you have the fully loaded gross weight.

I look forward to the sample, I don't drink much anymore, but a taste is always good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Louis,

Silly me, i forgot about the forklifts... even though i was looking at them as models to be added at some point. Well that settles it to concrete then.

Thanks again, Yannis

I look forward to the sample, I don't drink much anymore, but a taste is always good.

Just as well Louis, HO bottles are notoriously difficult to get the tops off and you'd be sucking hard to get anything out.

1:1 bottles only :). Although a 1:2 or smaller scale bottle as a decoration / water tower is a nice idea for the brewery.

Back