Brewery/Bottling plant?

Hathaway Browne

Intrepid Adventurer
So I toying with the idea of having some sort of brewery or bottling plant as the industry.

Could this be a relative easy thing to model, or could it be something that demands a lot of real estate on a relatively small layout?

Depends, small brewery's are becoming more popular, so one receiving 1-2 cars of each ingredient should be ok... The complex consists, generally speaking, of silos for grains, the brew house, a cold storage ware house, and maybe a separate loading facility.

That's what I thought. It seems like one of those things that you can easily go "I need one of those and one of those" and then its grown to a right behemoth.

Although I am contemplating having it as a partial view block (on a 4x8).

I happen to work across the street of a bottling plant. Sadly they don't receive by rail.

Looking at the front, the left side is office, while the middle and right are the plant. There is 2 large doors that open to allow trucks (the small delivery ones) to drive into to. There is 2 more doors just like it on the other side. On the right side is a row of loading ducks for trailers.

I can get you some pictures and a link to it on mapquest if you want to see.

So I toying with the idea of having some sort of brewery or bottling plant as the industry.

Could this be a relative easy thing to model, or could it be something that demands a lot of real estate on a relatively small layout?

I have a small 2x10 shelf railroad under construction. A small brewery complex is planned for one end along the backdrop.

I was planning on having a warehouse for outbound loads of beer - room for two or three insulated box cars. Then on an adjacent track I would have an unloading area for convered hoppers, with pipes going up and into the building, and probably a tank car unloading platform for receiving whatever liquids/syrups are required. The hopper car and tank cars would be unloaded on the same track (two different spots), figuring they would require less switching than the outbound finished product.

We have a wonderful brewery here in Bend, OR - Deschutes Brewery, with a large presence on the west coast at least - and I know a few people that work there I could hit up for details. Too bad they don't have rail access, but I can always adapt what they receive in trucks to rail.

Did you get the electrical problem stowed away?

Larry
Yes and no. Thanks to the 8" of snow outside, its been too darn cold to attempt to work on the layout. However I think the solution suggested will sort it.

I happen to work across the street of a bottling plant. Sadly they don't receive by rail.

Looking at the front, the left side is office, while the middle and right are the plant. There is 2 large doors that open to allow trucks (the small delivery ones) to drive into to. There is 2 more doors just like it on the other side. On the right side is a row of loading ducks for trailers.

I can get you some pictures and a link to it on mapquest if you want to see.
I have a small 2x10 shelf railroad under construction. A small brewery complex is planned for one end along the backdrop.

I was planning on having a warehouse for outbound loads of beer - room for two or three insulated box cars. Then on an adjacent track I would have an unloading area for convered hoppers, with pipes going up and into the building, and probably a tank car unloading platform for receiving whatever liquids/syrups are required. The hopper car and tank cars would be unloaded on the same track (two different spots), figuring they would require less switching than the outbound finished product.

We have a wonderful brewery here in Bend, OR - Deschutes Brewery, with a large presence on the west coast at least - and I know a few people that work there I could hit up for details. Too bad they don't have rail access, but I can always adapt what they receive in trucks to rail.
Thanks both. I've not officially given it the "green light" yet, but if I do, that would come in handy.

It does seem that I might be able to do it. Next step is perhaps to look at what kind of building kits can fit the bill for the various units.

And then I've also got a headache of trying to find a brand for said brewery. :rolleyes:

The one by me is just one of those "kit" buildings, where the walls are preformed and just bolted together. It would be a modern building. Otherwise model railroader has been doing a brewery layout the last few issues

brand for the brewery?
easy peasy lemon squeezy
just call it Ma and Pop Brewery. :)
not the most original, but should work if you can't come up with anything better.

brand for the brewery?
easy peasy lemon squeezy
just call it Ma and Pop Brewery. :)
not the most original, but should work if you can't come up with anything better.

:D I like that! It could fit a Soda bottling plant too.. seeings as they use "pop" for soda in Canada.

Right. I've decided that I can put the Brewery on a 1"x8" extension, so that should give me enough room to make a reasonable plant.

Back