Boxwell Caskets

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
I picked up a kit from Right on Track Models to build Boxwell Casket Company and the other day I decided it was time to start building it.

This will be a build thread, updated when I remember to take pictures. :)

Here is the first one - I added some stiffeners to the long walls and then glued up the basic building.

This afternoon I spray painted it red and will be using some Pan Pastels to add colors to it later.

Should be a fun model.

I hit it with some flat red spray paint yesterday and this evening I followed a video about coloring brick and put some various colors of Pan Pastels on it. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed so far.

I just hit it with some matte clear coat, which muted the colors of the Pan Pastels a little, but I think it's going to look pretty great after I grout it.

Here we are after grouting. I think it looks okay. After this photo I wiped more grout off with a wet sponge and then hit it with some matte clear again.

I think the grouting might have worked better if I'd use gloss clear instead of matte on top of the pan pastels. It also appears that I lost most of the color variation from the pan pastels.

I'm not unhappy with it, but I think it could be better.

Anyway, here we are after gluing in the windows and doors and adding the roof and supports over the dock. There are plastic molded shingles to go on top of the roofs - not sure what color I'm going to make those yet.

I also decided I didn't like the stairs and caskets that came with the kit. They are FDM 3D printed and don't look all that great. So I modeled some new ones up and am printing them in resin. Because I have a resin printer now. :)

The structure looks wonderful, in my eye.
I have a question. Do you feel it would have been better to finish in this sequence: paint, clear-coat, grout, pastels, dull-coat?
It sounds like you had: paint, pastels, grout, and dull-coat.

I followed a video where he did: paint, clear, pastels, clear, grout, clear.

I think doing the pastels after the grouting would end up coloring the grout too much. I think what I need to do next time is put on more pastels (the clear really dulls the colors down) and then use gloss instead of matte after the pastels so it's easier to wipe off the grout.

Here we are after grouting. I think it looks okay. After this photo I wiped more grout off with a wet sponge and then hit it with some matte clear again

Good for you! I think it looks good. I'm just getting started and have only built a few kits. I've found ways on Youtube to paint brick and mortar but find it challenging. I will follow this thread and hope to learn more

Just about finished. I didn't really take any more build photos. The only thing left is the roof cap, some vents and deciding how to finish the chimney for the boiler house.

I resin printed some caskets, plain and fancy, and some crates that could hold a casket for shipping.

I also printed a new roller door because the cast one was a little crude. The stairs are also resin printed. The FDM printed ones that came with the kit were not the greatest.

Back