Box car graffiti by decals

oxfordlawn

Still learning
I was thinking about this on the way home tonight and then there was another thread today started by a member who was showing their first weathering job. This was ironic to me as I also just purchased used box carts to learn how to weather and graffiti them myself as well. Now I didn't want to hijack that thread so I started this one. Someone mentioned graffiti decals on the other thread which caught my attention...why you ask.....well I live near a rail yard not too far away and there were 4 boxes lined up with real nice graffiti on the lower 1/3rd of the cars and I was so tempted to stop and photograph it for later use. Now comes my question...decals....is there a way of printing out those photos of box cars if I had taken them onto some decal paper on a home computer, then cutting the decals out of the graffiti portion, and applying it too a box car. If so, what type printer is best for this and what type of decal paper would work for that application. I keep seeing so much cool looking graffiti on these box cars when I pass the yard, I think I would like to learn to replicate them onto scale cars, but by decal method, not hand painting, im not that steady of a hand anymore LOL.

I made my own graffiti decals. First I just searched Google images and found a few good pics. Then I brought them into Gimp (similar to Photoshop and free!) and cleaned them up a bit. I included the graffiti with the decals for my caboose and printed them out on white decal paper using our HP Deskjet. The only thing I have put them on so far is a container.
preview_gedc00080.jpg

preview_decals0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks CMRR--could I get an explanation real quick how the decal is applied once you printed it out on your computer... I have gimp on this computer, downloaded it last year when I was looking for a cheaper but in depth program for my son for graphic arts class. What brand decal paper did you use and whats the benefits of white vs. clear paper??

Thanks CMRR--could I get an explanation real quick how the decal is applied once you printed it out on your computer... I have gimp on this computer, downloaded it last year when I was looking for a cheaper but in depth program for my son for graphic arts class. What brand decal paper did you use and whats the benefits of white vs. clear paper??

Oxfordlawn - if you go to my webpage in the pages section I go over how I made the decals and the paper I used. Good luck with yours.

Oxfordlawn - if you go to my webpage in the pages section I go over how I made the decals and the paper I used. Good luck with yours.
checked it...thanks for the input.......now off to search youtube for some videos on inkjet decals :D

You can get decals from eBay too. I've got a ton from there for cheaps but haven used em yet. I've kinda let my models sit since im a bit burnt out with the hobby. Good luck making your own decals!

Sent from the past

Back