Bowser Baldwin RS-12

BRS12sx - 04-08-2015.jpg

My Baldwin RS12 came in last week. Detail is great, and it runs well. Sound is like a real Baldwin. The PRR version is based on pre-1966 numbering and is equipped with Trainphone antenna.

Louis: One of the RS12s was assigned to Orangeville EH, and was used on the Baltimore - Parkton MD commuter trains until they were discontinued. The engine remained in the Baltimore Region until it was retired in 1967.

My model represents one used in commuter service in South Jersey, between Camden and Pemberton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Boris! I was just saying in another thread how much I enjoy the interesting facts I read from the forum members. This place has more to offer than any 2 magazines and it's free!

I was surprised to find that the Baldwin RS12 has approximately the same dimension as the EMD GP7/GP9. I always associated the RS12 with the S12 switcher, as both were 1200 HP. Surprisingly, the PRR entrusted single and multiple unit equipped Baldwin switchers to assignments, that would draw GP7/9 or ALCo RS3s on other railroads.

The Baldwins had their flaws, they were high maintenance, but with their Westinghouse Traction motors, they could really pull a lot of tonnage with a minimal number of locomotives.

The Bowser/Stewart Baldwins are all nice models that run well. While they don't have the same pulling power as the prototype, they work well. Baldwins will be the backbone of my roster, on my next layout, a late '60s urban industrial layout.

Thanks for the info. IF I needed more power and IF it were available undecorated, I would seriously consider this locomotive.

Back