Bogies

Tony what are they? Combination of wheels? Mostly freight cars. Trying to change couplers and trucks to working condition. All the same couplers.
Frank

A set of Bogies to me is a Truck and Wheels set - like these:

download.jpg

Now you can get what we refer to as Trucks/Bogies (same thing) with couplers or without. If your not particular about how realistic everything is I have a pack of Micro Trains Barber Roller Bearing Trucks with Couplers that fit pretty much anything. All you do is remove the screw of the current trucks and replace it with the Barber Trucks and Couplers. Very quick and very easy :)

Only thing you might have to consider is whether or not to get 33" or 36" wheels, depending on whether they are going on a Pass Car or Freight Car :)

I wondered myself why it's called that 🤣 and looked it up. The actual articulation trolley was patented in US In the early 19th century, apparently the name bogie was coined in in the late 19th century by a German engineer. I think the idea involved the bogie trolley being the actual coupler between 2 loads (a "jakobs bogie") with each load having its own rotating mount as opposed to one.
Eg..
.C1]_[C2......]_[C3......]
__O=O___O=O_____
But this was complicated to configure and needed lifting equipment. Also did not help the increasing weight issue, so rather than being a separate coupling unit I guess it made more sense for long carriages to bolt 2 sets on each all along.

I guess the bogie name just stuck 😕
In UK it's the name we give to a booger too!

PS: Being from Europe, if someone said "train truck" as opposed to "train boogie" to me I would assume they meant a short wheelbase goods wagon like a coal cart rather than it's chassis, but I suppose that is exactly what a bogie is, a short wheelbase car just without anything on it 🤔

Last edited:
PS: found a modern real life example of a "Jacobs bogie". Took me a bit by surprise when my latest model showed up, I have never noticed it before and even ridden the thing, but the TGV uses this configuration 😮
(it decreases it's minimum outer turning radius and and friction in general for lightweight HSTs)

Attachments

• jacobs-bogie-diagram_med_hr.png
    jacobs-bogie-diagram_med_hr.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Back