Board

pga7602

I'm about to start my first N scale setup and would like input on what type of board is best. I live in a small apartment so 4x8 is the absolute biggest I can go. The guy at my local store told me I can just buy a door and build on top of it.

Any other ideas? I know plywood was popular 10 year ago, and have not been around the hobby since to know if anyone out there has come up with a better idea.

plywood is still pretty good, me and my dad actually have to work with two layers of particle board "don't go that route" but its all we had, but ya, plywood is still good, give it some paint and some fake grass and you have a wonderful beginning to a scenic right on your railroad.

Ok you live in an apt I would go with 4x8 primed sound board 1x4x8 pine for the frame and 1x2x8 for your cross members It will be stronge lite weight and easy to shove under the bed if need be:D and you can expand at a later date:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The door actually is a common for N. 28"-36" by 80".
Reaching over 4' will be worse than what you will gain in space.

If I was living in an apt--and knew I'd be moving sooner than later, I'd not go with a wood top at all. Rather I'd go with foam. It's light, won't warp, and you can move it easily.

You might also consider going with modules.

If I was living in an apt--and knew I'd be moving sooner than later, I'd not go with a wood top at all. Rather I'd go with foam. It's light, won't warp, and you can move it easily.

You might also consider going with modules.

Moving it around and maybe moving it out of the APT may be a concern. What kind of foam should I use?

The lowes a few miles away from me carries it but yet the Home Depot dose not not sure if Lowes carries it in all stories or just on the west coast:D

Back