BN Trough Train: A neat scratchbuilding project

After reading about the BN Trough Trains, articulated aluminum 13 unit continuous coal hoppers, I’ve always wanted to build one.

Unfortunately, due to a lack of sufficiently detailed pictures and a lack of the mere space necessary to construct this monster, I have yet to actually start this project but have amassed some pretty neat pictures and even a video of these unique cars.

Now, thanks to Peter of the Friends of BN forum, I have even more pictures of these cars and figured I’d share them with the forum…

http://rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=625

PS. The article in which I initially learned about BN’s 22 Trough Trains appeared in the December 2005 issue of Trains on page 69…

By the way, if any of you have any additional pictures of any of the Trough Trains or know of articles featuring these unique cars, please feel free to share…

That does look likt a scratchbuilding project waiting to happen.

Here are 2 pics I found hope they help.
One of the pics show what looks to be the doors for the bottom dump in boxes as if they were spare parts. Also in the middle of the pic it looks like one of the cars is sitting on the ground with no trucks.

I think those are covered hopper hatches. The hinges don't look robust enough to be hopper doors.

It looks like a fun project. Document it well and when you're done write it up for RMC.

Back