Bn 7849 Sd40-2.

Hi everyone.
I finally got around and Photographed my new HO Scale BN SD40-2 Locomotive today. This is the one that I got from historic Rail dot com that I was getting very angry with them for such a long wait just to receive from them. But anyways. This is my new Bachmann BN SD40-2. I Love it. Have a good 4th. Later.
BNSD40-2001.png

BNSD40-2002.png

Damn! I have never seen a Bachmann like that! I wonder if it runs like it looks!? I have always stayed away from Bachmann as well as other "department store" brands. Gees, with a few of the details that I add to the rest of my locos, that thing could proudly fit in with the rest of my locos! BTW: they are good pics, but do you think you could post anymore pics? Do you own anymore roadnames from Bachmann?

-Rich

Looks pretty darn good for a Bachmann, that would give an Athearn a run for their money, especially a Blue Box.

Damn! I have never seen a Bachmann like that! I wonder if it runs like it looks!? I have always stayed away from Bachmann as well as other "department store" brands. Gees, with a few of the details that I add to the rest of my locos, that thing could proudly fit in with the rest of my locos! BTW: they are good pics, but do you think you could post anymore pics? Do you own anymore roadnames from Bachmann?

-Rich
The only good unit in Bachmann that runs good is my Santa Fe 5400. My other BN unit B30-7 keeps derailing. So I don't use it anymore. Later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty darn good for a Bachmann, that would give an Athearn a run for their money, especially a Blue Box.

I think I would rather stay with the Athearn despite all the fixes it needs to be a BN loco. A few more noticable differences, assuming we are talking RTR.

Athearn nose is correct length, 88" not 81"
There is something weird with the relationship between the cab windows and the nose on the B-mann, I think the nose is too short in height
Both Athearn and Bachmann have the wrong battery box doors
The sidesill correct on the Athearn, not nearly as thick as the Bachmann
The handrails are the correct height on the Athearn, Bachmann's are too tall
The Bachmann dynamic brake hatch looks sort of misformed, it is too thick but it does not have the extended range DB access door that needs to be removed on the Athearn, for a BN unit
I prefer the fuel tank casting on the Athearn, especially the new plastic ones with all the detail
I can't tell if the Bachmann has chickenwire or corrogated grills but they should be the corrogated ones like the Athearn
Bachmann should look at a BN paint diagram. The black/green separation should be 72" above the deck, below the radiator grills. The Bachmann lettering is about 50% too big but they did get the numberboards and the small "Burlington Northern" correct.
Those are the differences I noticed but others probably don't care and that is fine with me.

[...]There is something weird with the relationship between the cab windows and the nose on the B-mann, I think the nose is too short in height
[...]
I can't tell if the Bachmann has chickenwire or corrogated grills but they should be the corrogated ones like the Athearn
The windows, I think the nose is correct, the windows are too high.

As for the grills, how about both, as far as I can tell BN had both grills. This photo confirms it, though it seems BN had a majority of corrugated.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bn/bn7836amh.jpg

I like the look of this model very el mucho. Bachmann branchline who do the British models are just stunning in detail, they wipe the floor with the competition, look's like the other big US manufacturers are in for a beating real soon ;)

The windows, I think the nose is correct, the windows are too high.

As for the grills, how about both, as far as I can tell BN had both grills. This photo confirms it, though it seems BN had a majority of corrugated.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bn/bn7836amh.jpg

With around 800 SD40-2s there were lots of variants on the BN but 7849 had corrugated. The windows looked like they had the right proportions but there is definately something not right in that area.

I have only bought 3 Bachmann locos, a 44 tonner, and Thomas and Percy for my daughter and Thomas is the only one still going.

personally, I kinda like it....

Yes, the windows do look alittle high, but compared to the BLI BN SD40-2 that I saw, I'd say this loco was a great value! I have never really been a big fan of Bachmann, but lately it seems that all the seemingly "underdog" model companies have been stepping up the quality. The battery boxes on ALL of my Chessie locos are wrong, but its a real easy fix...Details West even sells the part that I need for real cheap. All I have to say is that if this loco runs pretty well, then chalk it up as a good buy. Can't really say that I have anything Bachmann, Lifelike (other than P2K), Model Power, etc. in my fleet, but with the recent improvements from Bachmann (i.e: their F40PH's) and this SD40-2, I may someday reconsider! Looks like you got a fine loco there and if you're happy with it, then everything else is just personal preference. Besides, a few cheaply added details here and there make a world of difference! I am more proud of my once "hardly accurate" Athearn GP40-2's than any of my Atlas' or Proto 2000 locos...Have fun and run it hard!

-Rich

I see it now, Josh, the windows are correctly proportioned but the numberboard protrusion is missing about a 3rd of it height so the windows end up too high. The headlight is nearly popping out the cab roof.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm not much of a Bachmann Train fan myself. But I just love the detail of the units themselves. They are very good running Locomotives. Sure I would like to stick too Athearn or a Kato Locomotive. But with money becoming thin. I think a very good Bachmann Locomotive sure sounds really good right about now. Later :)

To add to the same idea stated by someone else on this forum (another thread), it is a pain to fix and add the small things, but thats what makes model railroading so fun! Even my Atlas engines have tons of flaws as per the prototype they are supposed to represent, but I personally like to constantly improve their appearance with detail parts, and although small, they make a big difference. So, even with alot of people's money being somewhat thin, (mine included) as long as you have a good base...(I'd have to say, that SD40-2 looks like a good enough candidate!) You could make it stand out amongst the rest! I still can't believe thats a Bachmann!

-Rich

Back