Bicentennial Engines !!

Can someone help me out here please ... I spotted an engine that I really REALLY like .. Its a GP18 Bicentennial engine and the seller said it HAS been fully tested and does indeed run !! So I mean would this look "good" in my Gp39 Santa Fe Consist pulling freight ???? :confused:

Can someone help me out here please ... I spotted an engine that I really REALLY like .. Its a GP18 Bicentennial engine and the seller said it HAS been fully tested and does indeed run !! So I mean would this look "good" in my Gp39 Santa Fe Consist pulling freight ???? :confused:

GP18? Bicentenial?
That would be an old AHM Yugo engine. They ran okay for their day, but never that good. And their day was over about 1980 or so.
Look good? If you like horn hook couplers and gaping holes
in the pilots for the truck mounted couplers go through.

By trainmannick83;

the seller said it HAS been fully tested and does indeed run !!

Runs, as in, it moves? Some of the old models were poor performers under the best of circumstances and I doubt that age has improved matters any.

I would suggest that you thoroughly research any purchases to get the biggest bang for your buck. It may mean waiting for a while and probably spending more on an individual item than you really wanted to but you should end up with quality equipment that runs well and is much more satisfying to operate. I say this as one who bought whatever caught my eye in the early stages of this hobby and almost gave up on it because of the poor quality of the items I bought. After stopping to research my purchases, I ended up with much, much better equipment and a greater appreciation of what was possible with good equipment.

I spent more on individual items but what I got ran and looked great. I was no longer disappointed with the quality and I credit that as the reason I didn't give up on this great hobby. I would hate to think that you could be one of the many who give up on this fantastic hobby because of a disappointment with the quality of products you've purchased. Good luck, Bob.

I'm not "in to" the trains enough to know what I have (GPx, SDx, etc) but I have a Bicentennial 'set' downstairs (pictures later :) ) that I barely bought (CHEAP price) at a train show last Fall. The train rain at the show but won't run on my set - I'll probably take it apart and clean it now that I have proper tools to do that - but I still like it because it'll make a nice 'static' display somewhere.

The full set:

DSC_0066_zpsfbed9786.png

Diesel:

DSC_0063_zps16ef8ca9.png

DSC_0064_zps215e5653.png

DSC_0065_zps4fe85b3b.png

Nice set . As for the poster who mentioned the Horn Hook Couplers .... YEAH I do like using them .. They are a lot easier for " me " to install and use . Ive tried using them knuckle couplers that are on my Bachmann cars and considering the fact 90% of my engines and cars are older Walthers , then I found out that the knuckle couplers are not compatible with those .. So im giving up on them ... But thanks !

I have 5 or 6 of the old AHM Gp-18's. They are not up to today's standard but they run rather well. They can be had for under $20.00 on the bay. 2 of them are the bicentennial engines. At worst if they don't run well they can be made into dummy engines. Just make sure all the handrails are not broken.
I also have a Life-Like Gp38 old style dummy in the DT&I bicentennial paint. It is a dummy but i love the paint.

Bob

Back