Beyer Garratt Articulated loco - video

vikramgoel

Video of a double headed Beyer Garratt 4-8-4+4-8-4 Beyer Garratt loco on step grade from the lower deck to upper on my Layout:

[video=youtube;BEaJioxpuWI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEaJioxpuWI[/video]

Thanks

Vik.

www.indiarails.net

Thanks for the video. I have always been a train nut and a number of years back I saw a documentary about railroads in South Africa and the Garratt was featured. Since then, I have always had quite a liking for them.

Hi,

Thanks,

Yes these were used by most British Commonwealth countries, India had about 6 different classes in use at one-time or another.

Thanks for visiting.

Vik.

Hi Vik,
I totally love Garratts! Would love to have one in HO scale model, but only if a complete matching train is also available!
I guess the first Garratt in your video is the Australian Garratt from Eureka Models, right? But what about the second one? I don´t recognize it...
I´m not into Australian or South African Garratts, but I´m very much into Indian, Kenian, Tansanian, Peruvian, Bolivian and Argentinian Garratts. But I know there will never be models of these engines available in HO scale...

Hi Vik,
I totally love Garratts! Would love to have one in HO scale model, but only if a complete matching train is also available!
I guess the first Garratt in your video is the Australian Garratt from Eureka Models, right? But what about the second one? I don´t recognize it...
I´m not into Australian or South African Garratts, but I´m very much into Indian, Kenian, Tansanian, Peruvian, Bolivian and Argentinian Garratts. But I know there will never be models of these engines available in HO scale...

HI,

Actually there are a # of Garrets now available in RTR for HO. The two you see in this video are both Australian AD60's, I use them as theis wheel configuration was also used in India. Another RTR is from ehattons (ehattons.com) in OO scale (uses HO track) it is a 2-6-0+0-6-2. Another two are from Precision minatures (http://precisionminiatures.co.za/sample-page/) they have two models a 4-8-2+2-8-4 and a 2-6-2+2-6-2. all in HO scale.
I own four: two 4-8-4+4-8-4 one 2=6-0_0-6-2 and one 4-8-2+2-8-4. All these also operated in India.
Thanks for visiting.

Regards,

Vik
[h=1][/h]

It´s the first time ever that I hear that 4-8-4+4-8-4 Garratts also existed in India! I thought only Australia had 4-8-4+4-8-4 Garratts! Can you please show me some links and infos to these Indian 4-8-4+4-8-4 Garratts?
I always thought that Bengal Nagpur Railway´s 2-8-0+0-8-2 Garratts were Indias biggest Garratts...
Unfortunately I wasn´t able to find any Garratt model on that ehattons website!

I checked out your website! I´m in TOTAL LOVE with your Sher-E-Punjab! It looks soooo good! And having synchronized smoke and sound makes it perfect for me and makes even more want it!!! Wish there was a video! I´m jealous! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice! I witnessed Garratts on the Ferrocarril Central Del Peru in the late 50's at altitude in the Andes Mountains, up around 13,000 feet above sea level. Impressive locomotives.

I couldn't help but notice that the trailing truck on the lead locomotive is derailed in the video. The lead axle. My eyes have gotten used to noticing such things on my own railroad, so I come by it honestly. :D

It´s the first time ever that I hear that 4-8-4+4-8-4 Garratts also existed in India! I thought only Australia had 4-8-4+4-8-4 Garratts! Can you please show me some links and infos to these Indian 4-8-4+4-8-4 Garratts?
I always thought that Bengal Nagpur Railway´s 2-8-0+0-8-2 Garratts were Indias biggest Garratts...

I checked out your website! I´m in TOTAL LOVE with your Sher-E-Punjab! It looks soooo good! And having synchronized smoke and sound makes it perfect for me and makes even more want it!!! Wish there was a video! I´m jealous! :)

Highball,

The video for Sher-E-Bunjab is also on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIVv5zuRIRc
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJoiiN3hQl0.

Will send you a link soon.

Thanks,

Vik.

Very nice! I witnessed Garratts on the Ferrocarril Central Del Peru in the late 50's at altitude in the Andes Mountains, up around 13,000 feet above sea level. Impressive locomotives.

I couldn't help but notice that the trailing truck on the lead locomotive is derailed in the video. The lead axle. My eyes have gotten used to noticing such things on my own railroad, so I come by it honestly. :D

Crandell,

Yoy are right, part and parcel of teh joys of Model railroads,

Thanks,

Vik.

Highball,

Here is link to exact page for the ehattons: http://www.ehattons.com/42906/Helja..._cabsides_numbers_on_tanks_1/StockDetail.aspx
Regards,

Vik.

I witnessed Garratts on the Ferrocarril Central Del Peru in the late 50's at altitude in the Andes Mountains, up around 13,000 feet above sea level. Impressive locomotives.
I´m so jealous! Wish I was born earlier! Must´ve been quite an adventure to travel in Peru in the 50´s. Did you also check out other railway lines in the Andes and other countries then?
All I have is only 2 b&w photos of those peruvian Garratts! Only 4 were built and as far as I know out of service by the early 60´s! You´ve been really lucky!!! Did those Garratts pull the passenger train you rode or did they pull a freight train?

Amazing!!!
Is this an "indianized" MTH PRR K4 hiding underneath it?
Why did it slip so much on that bridge? I couldn´t even see some serious grade there! Is it because it lacks traction tires or because the train was too heavy?

By the way: you should fix the flickering in your passenger cars! It´s not supposed to be a disco-train haha!

Amazing!!!
Is this an "indianized" MTH PRR K4 hiding underneath it?
Why did it slip so much on that bridge? I couldn´t even see some serious grade there! Is it because it lacks traction tires or because the train was too heavy?

By the way: you should fix the flickering in your passenger cars! It´s not supposed to be a disco-train haha!

Highball,

It is actually a Broadway Limited K4. The slippage was intentional for effect, caused by application of some oil on the track. I know I have to fix the flickring lights, will get to it one of these days.

Regards,

Vik.

I´m so jealous! Wish I was born earlier! Must´ve been quite an adventure to travel in Peru in the 50´s. Did you also check out other railway lines in the Andes and other countries then?
All I have is only 2 b&w photos of those peruvian Garratts! Only 4 were built and as far as I know out of service by the early 60´s! You´ve been really lucky!!! Did those Garratts pull the passenger train you rode or did they pull a freight train?

Highball, I only saw the Garratts three or four times due to their usage seldom being near where I lived and went to school. If my father took the family up to the mining town, then I could see a Garratt now and then, but mostly 2-8-0 Baldwins. I don't believe the Garratts were ever pressed into passenger service, and I did not see them pulling coaches. They were used strictly for freight. The corporation produced ingots of copper, lead, zinc, bismuth, cadmium, and other metals, and needed to ship coal to its smelter. So, loads both ways.

@ vikramgoel: alright! I didn´t know the BLI K4 also had synchronized puffing smoke. Very well done work! I guess you own the fanciest WP class in HO scale ever!
@ Selector: I must correct myself. I have 4 photos of those peruvian Garratts because just 3days ago I received the "Railways of Peru Volume 2" book, that I was searching for so long. It´s full of 2-8-0´s! Since a few weeks I´m seriously thinking about purchasing the upcoming unlettered die cast metal BLI 2-8-0 and "peruanize" it for the FCC or FCS. Problem is that I would love to have a peruvian passenger train but I can´t find anything that´s close to the typical yellow-orange or white-green passenger cars. And I´m not into self-building. So I still don´t know if I will start this peruvian project at all.
So you haven´t been a tourist there but lived there! Interesting! Are you a Peruvian? In case you´re not: How comes you grew up there? Sorry for being so curious but I´m like that!

Father was a mining engineer working for Cerro De Pasco Corp. CdeP owned a railroad and rolling stock, had a wheel shop and backshops, and ran its own passenger and freight service between Cerro de Pasco and La Oroya. The FCCP ran between La Oroya and Callao, Lima's port. We lived in four different mining camps between 1957 and 1966, when we returned to Canada to allow my and my siblings to continue our education because the corporation only provided schooling to Grade 8. We lived twice in Cerro @ 14,300 feet ASL, and at Casapalca and at Mahr Tunnel.

I would look for Eu rolling stock, say Marklin/Trix, Rivarossi/Hornby, for 50' smooth-side or shorty-type passenger cars. Model Power used to sell such cars, Harriman Type I think they are.

Wow, very interesting childhood! You´re a real mountain boy I guess! Lucky you!
Believe me, I already checked out everything and I started with european cars because they are indeed way better for such a project than any americna cars! But there is one problem, and that´s the reason why I still haven´t found something satisifying enough: it´s the space between the windows and the roof! On ALL european cars, that space is very minimal. In many cases the upper rim of the windows almost touches the roof. It´s no wonder because in Europe a letterboard with the railroad or train name above the windows was used only very rarely. But to model these peruvian cars I absolutely need this space. I haven´t been lucky yet. By the way: the best cars I found (that come closest) are the austrian so called "Spantenwagen" by Roco. If there only was more space between the windows and the roof, they would be perfect for this project! Here is a pic:
https://www.haertle.de/out/pictures...267-spanten-reisezugwagen-oebb-spur-h0_p1.jpg

Back