Better N scalae magazine

MercerMike

Hello all...I started to get Model Railroader Magazine awhile back, not seeing what I actually want in it, is there a better magazine around dealing with n scale model railroading etc?...As always, thank you for your help...Mike

Mike,

There are 2 N scale specific magazines: N Scale and N Scale Railroading. N Scale is the older of the two and I have had a subscription for many years. It is published every other month (6 issues/year) I also subcribe to Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman and Scale Rails (NMRA Publication). I find that the most interesting magazine varies. MR & RMC have a lot of good layout construction and scenery techniques that are good for all scales.

Asking which magazine is better is like asking which DCC system is better. LOL Pickup copies of the different magazines and see which one is more to your liking.

Glenn

I wasn't all that impressed with N Scale after I really dug into it. It's pretty short and aside from maybe one good article, seemed to be just an excuse to publish ads. That's not all bad; ads are a great source of ideas. But compared to a beefier mag like Model Railroader you'll diffinately see a difference. If you have a big book store around that may be a better place to see what's out there surpriseingly enough. My local hobby shop only carries a couple of titles while I found about 6 at Books a Million. Although the 2 titles already mentioned are about it for N Scale.

N scale used to be more "techy" and NSR was more photo/layout heavy, but as they've tried to compete with each other, they've gotten pretty close. I get both, as well as MR and an occasional Garden Railways........which n scale mag I like better changes monthly depending on the articles. If it matters, Nscale has put out a series of CD's with every issue of the mag so you can get a full collection of back issues.

I am a big fan of both N Scale and N Scale Railroading.I also like MR and RMC.Seems like a lot of modelers (IMHO) can't see beyond scale (big problem with the older HO guys).

Just because a article is about doing something in another scale not mean you can't apply the idea to N scale layouts.:)

Like I said I am a big fan of both mags,My only complaint is I wish they were published on alternate months.That way we would have fresh reading material every month.:)

Back