Best value for money sound

preferred sound and why in diesels.....

G'day all... A very general question about sound preferences..I've just added my third BLI with Paragon2 sound..Very crisp clean and adjustable via the Broadway's. I also have one QSI Quantum , a couple of MRC's and Proto 3 in my MTH.. but my Intermountain's and Athearn Genesis's have Tsunami which has been for many the preferred decoder for diesels at least..not sure about steam..What do most of the Forum Members choose and why ? A second question if I may...How does Jim Loffland do the sound on this AMAZING DC only Block layout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdJ9UgldT00..The astounding perimeter , rolling stock and ancillary sounds are incredible...Here's 5052 ,5038 and the newest one 5044 ..by the way in the middle....Since the first two , about 2 years ago BLI have improved the boxing too...and when not in use that's where they stay due to a Border Collie and a Kelpie who both hang around the model trains a bit too much..as does a very young relative..prevention is far better than the cure...
..Cheers Rod 5052 5038 and 5044 BLI's.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
steam..What do most of the Forum Members choose and why ?
I don't prefer any. I take and use whatever the manufacture has installed, and use their adjustments to tune it to my preference. For my own installations, I used to find the Loksound the hardest because they used stupid 100 ohm speakers, they have since remedied that situation and use normal 8 ohms, so the preference might come down to how one feels about how each is programmed. I dislike the Tsunami stacked CVs (eg. CV 56.76.3) but that is just me ....

A second question if I may...How does Jim Loffland do the sound on this AMAZING DC only Block layout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdJ9UgldT00..The astounding perimeter , rolling stock and ancillary sounds are incredible...
I don't watch videos, but how could one tell the sound is amazing - judging from a digitized computer sound system? Or do you somehow have your AV processor hooked up to the internet.

G'day Iron Horseman and all...Fair enough about the decoders/sound...I can't comment on opinion of Loksound because I've never experienced it...almost though because it was a toss up between the BLI with Paragon and a very similar and exact same priced $254 Intermountain with ESU Loksound..newly arrived to my dealer...I've got a BNSF Intermountain with ESU on order though ..maybe late August arrival... Re the other matter with Tall Timbers Santa Fe ...This is a well made video just focusing on a beautiful 30 years in progress layout where the surrounding and ancillary railroad sounds come across pretty effectively even via the internet to me at least but I do respect your view that in real life maybe not necessarily..Appreciate your comments as always...Cheers Rod..

Pretty sure that all the sound on that video has been dubbed in from pre-recorded prototype, extremely well done and perfectly matched to the action on the layout. I haven't heard any decoder sound that can replicate that truly deep rumble of a full size loco and the squeals and groans of the wheels on curves, I don't think any manufacturer has come up with that as yet. We've got the refrigerated reefer compressor motors now and station and other announcements, farmyard animals etc etc, but all installed on the locos. I recently got an Intermountain ES44AC and a Kato SD80MAC, both with Loksound Select and don't really think there's that much between it and Tsunami. BLI Paragon2 sound, I think is a tad better, a bit richer in the bass, maybe they've managed to squeeze in some deeper coned speakers. Bigger diameter speakers is good and most manufacturers try to get them in, but it's that deep cone that produces bass. Without an enclosure, any speaker is wasted. The fully enclosed deep cone MRC speakers used in Genesis's FP45's, which they continued to use even when they changed to Tsunami produced some of the best motor sound of all in my opinion.
If someone wants some really big sound, buy my Proto 2000 PA/PB's and fit some big speakers into them, there's enough room for a modern compact decoder and large diameter flat enclosed speaker in the space occupied by the "A's" huge lighting board, the same in the "B" units with an extra large deep cone in the space where the cab is in the "A". And to top that off, in the empty non-powered "B", a double deep cone isobaric unit. Reckon then, you'd think you were listening to the real ones.

On one hand, as a couple of posters have already said, this is a matter for personal preference. On the other hand, since the original thread title is "best value for money", I think you've got to give that title to Bachmann Sound Value, since a loco with sound and DCC is in the neighborhood of $40 more expensive than the same loco without sound or DCC -- and a DCC only decoder comes in the $17-20 range, so the sound component of Sound Value is actually costing maybe $20 over the base loco. Although the sound features are bare-bones, you're getting them at a real bargain compared to $100 or more for a separate sound decoder and speaker from any source. Hands down winner as "best value for money", to my mind.

On the question of what sound system is otherwise best, I'm not sure if there's a good consensus on even the best way to install and tune sound features. A lot of model videos suggest that the guy is running his train mainly to show off that he has sound, the way guys used to have unpainted brass locos on their layouts mainly to show off that they had them.

G'day Toot ,jwb and all...thanks for the info and opinions...very valued...on 'value' jwb , i couldn't agree more with your comments...you are so right.. i bought an Sd70 ACe from Bachmann with the Sound Value and when they say that , they mean that...really is value..mine was at least $100 cheaper than a Genesis , runs almost as good at low speed , with the sounds it has , every bit the equal of the Genesis's...cool momentum as default ..and really only lacks working ditch lights ...and I could put an okay set in for way less than the price difference if the desire ever strikes.... A bloke called Arthur Huston made a great two part video on Tall Timbers Santa Fe..before this layout had sound...in two parts because there's a lot to see and in it the layout is explained a lot more..well worth a watch...for me the introduced sounds on a layout of this quality would make a visit a real 'experience'...There's a lotta love and moola in that piece of art..Cheers guys.....Rod....

G'day all... A very general question about sound preferences..I've just added my third BLI with Paragon2 sound..Very crisp clean and adjustable via the Broadway's. I also have one QSI Quantum , a couple of MRC's and Proto 3 in my MTH.. but my Intermountain's and Athearn Genesis's have Tsunami which has been for many the preferred decoder for diesels at least..not sure about steam..What do most of the Forum Members choose and why ? A second question if I may...How does Jim Loffland do the sound on this AMAZING DC only Block layout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdJ9UgldT00..The astounding perimeter , rolling stock and ancillary sounds are incredible...Here's 5052 ,5038 and the newest one 5044 ..by the way in the middle....Since the first two , about 2 years ago BLI have improved the boxing too...and when not in use that's where they stay due to a Border Collie and a Kelpie who both hang around the model trains a bit too much..as does a very young relative..prevention is far better than the cure...
..Cheers RodView attachment 50473
It says in the description on the Youtube video the sounds were dubbed from real equipment.

G'day Toot....AWESOME....Thanks for the info...Dubbed or not these add a lot of realism to the videos and you are correct...He is a master..Really enjoyed taking them in I think some layouts do have piped ancillary background sound too I think I've seen it mentioned previously..Would just add to the sensation of being there...Cheers Rod.

......Cheers mate...Rod..

G'day Toot.. Thanks ...WHHOOOOOOOAAAA........WOOHOO....Zappar bing bang boo..Tingy wingy shebang ding dang doo ..Just incredible...I wonder how well it works...Expect if it's Digitrax Soundtraxx would be pretty okay...I looked to see if anyone has done a You Tube about it. Yes they have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLWh0FqwITo ..Cheers Rod

I will pick and choose the decoder to fit the situation. I doubt I'll go the woofer way. Digitrax prolly has the most economical priced sound decoders, but might be somewhat limited in selection, but you can mod the sounds if your talented enough with audio and make your own with their programmer. For steam the Titan is amazing. Loksound has a broad range of sounds to load up. And then again I need to sound up a tiny climax and Zimo is my answer, just a matter of time and money I'll do that.

Back