Best Track ?

Looking at the picture, I can see how to make it like a ME switch and power the frog and closer rails with the points! The only problem with the mod. is the c55's will have the same problem as the ME's. which is, if the sides of the points or sides of stock rails are dirty or don't make good contact your locomotive stalls! Always a problem.....LOL's I'm starting to lean in favor of the Pecos the more I think about it? still thinking though!

These Caboose Industries ground throws are all thats needed to power the frog on the Atlas code 55's. It's a piece of cake. The closure and point rails are already powered.

The Atlas code 80's have a plastic frog, so you can't power them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The N scale code 55 ones aren't that big. I think that pic is of an HO scale one or something. You'd use part # 222S.

As for pics, I'll defer to my friend Ed's layout since his is further along.

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_5914.jpg

IMG_6157.jpg

I think it's acceptable, but it's true the Peco's would be even less intrusive since there is no ground throw or switch machine at all. The tradeoff is that you have a wider tie spacing and a bit higher price.

You know, someday someone is going to finally put together all the right features and come up with the perfect track. Till then, it's all about tradeoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I think it's acceptable, but it's true the Peco's would be even less intrusive since there is no ground throw or switch machine at all. The tradeoff is that you have a wider tie spacing and a bit higher price.

You know, someday someone is going to finally put together all the right features and come up with the perfect track. Till then, it's all about tradeoffs."

Philip, I agree trade off's! It's funny we got 3 great TO's avalible but, each one has major trade off. But knowing in the nature of our scale you can spending a little extra and suffer the tie spacing would be a good trade off for performance! or have great looking track and bust your butt to get performance out of it.:confused: Good thing about our scale most sins are easliy hiden and are not as mush a slap in the face noticeable as larger scales:) Going to have to pray on it and think hard until construction!

Ok a few more questions....
What is a fog?
And what is the difference in turnouts with a #4 #5 #10 and so on?

Ok a few more questions....
No problem.....I was meaning to ask if you got your question answered, or did we just totally run away with the show on ya!
What is a fog?
I'm assuming you typo'd that and meant "frog"?
The frog is where the two rails cross over each other on a turnout. This diagram might help. Just click on it to enlarge it.
th_Turnout-Parts.jpg

And what is the difference in turnouts with a #4 #5 #10 and so on?
It's the angle, or sharpness of the diverging route of the turnout. The larger the number, the more gentle of a curve it is. The smaller the number, the sharper it is. A #4 is about as sharp as you'd usually want to go, and even that might give longer wheelbase loco's, like some larger steamers and some three and four axle diesels and electrics with rigid frames, some trouble. Derailments can occur. A #6 or #7 can handle most anything pretty well. Turnout numbers higher then that are usually more for scenic purposes or for high speed turnouts and crossovers.

Back