Best Track

I'm looking for opinions on the best track to use on my small industrial switching layout. I'm leaning towards Shinohara Cade 70 flex and turnouts at the moment but I'm curious about others experience with other brands...Thanks.

You might look at Micro-Engineering Code 70. Good looking track. Easily available on line directly from Micro engineering. Look up there web site. Lots of products.
Wayne

I would go with the Shinohara. My layout is all code 70. I started hand laying and when my spike gun died, I started using Shinohara. I also tried the ME track which I liked because you can get it already blackened but the flex track is a lot harder to work with and it is more expensive than the Shinohara. I was able to get everything I needed at M.B. Klein at less than MSRP.

Well... define best.

E.g. I find Atlas Code 100 easiest to work with, and easiest to have trains run on reliably and smoothly. Mind you, I don't use it on my layout because it looks toy-like and out of scale. But on the 'easy to work with' front, it wins for me. So best somewhat depends on what you're seeking most.

If, as I suspect, you've got code 70 as a given, then you're basically down to deciding between shinohara and microengineering: I definitely vote shinohara. I find it near impossible to get nice even curves out of ME despite watching numerous tutorials, etc. and for my fat fingers, at least, I find it awfully fragile.

It's not your fat fingers that makes the ME flextrack hard to use, it's the way it's manufactured. Most flex track manufacturers have one side of the track that allows the rail to slide through the ties. Not so with ME track. After using a few colorful words trying to use ME track through curves I gave up with it and used Shinohara for the curves and the ME track ended up being used in a yard in straight sections. I was really disappointed with it because it does look good. Also, if you are spiking ME flex track down, you have to drill holes into the ties whereas Shinohara already has the holes drilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm leaning towards Code70 rail because I'm going to attempt a very small, yet very detailed switching/industrial railroad, and I think the code 70 will look best in that setting. I have a basic plan chosen, and a few structure kits I'm going to use. Going with DC because I only have 2 steam switchers and 1 in a kit. I also already have 2 MRC throttles I'll be using, though only 1 since this is a single man operation. It's more to supplement what I'll be doing with our club, plus I'd still like a small layout of my own.

Well, it's out of fashion, but i myself prefer atlas flex track. I find it combines ease of use with better sturdiness. You'd be stuck with code 83 though.

I think you are right selecting code 70 for a switching layout. The rail in industrial areas is usually lighter rail. I was in N scale years ago and one thing that always bugged me was the over size rail, but nothing else was available at the time. I switched to HO scale in the late 70's and chose code 70 rail because my layout is a branch line/short line railroad and I knew that I would be running only lighter steam and diesel locomotives. It was built mainly as a switching layout. I am also a lone operator still a diehard operating DC only. As you can see in the photos, the code 70 rail does look a lot better than code 100, which would be appropriate for a heavy main line railroad.

attachment.php

attachment.php

These are my opinions and I personally think the code 70 rail looks a lot better. Many modelers will also use lighter rail in industrail areas and sidings even if they are running heavier rail on their main line. The only place that I used heavier rail was in hidden staging tracks which was code 83 because at the time it was easier for me to get. I recently finished a yard and engine facility using the Shinohara track because I was able to get everything I needed easily in code 70. Look at the video in my signature and you will also see how good it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back