Best FRED circuit ever!

funnelfan

A while back I figured out a FRED circuit that nails the FRED flash rate perfectly. It also helps that it's super easy to make and install in HO scale models. Here are some graphics that show it installed in a ATSF roadrailer (actually, a Autorailer). I wasn't sure if the FRED was still available, but it appears that it's available from the Sunrise website

http://www.sunrisenterprises.com/

For some reason Walthers didn't list it in their catalog.

I've got 3 of those, one is operational on a well car. It's pretty slick, and the flash rate seems right on.

I put it on my DCC layout, and it started flashing immediately....

Kennedy

So you're saying, add an LED so that the flash rate slows? I've been eyeing up the Ring Eng. ones, because they look a little more modern.

The Ringengineering FREDs I think are excellent. They look prototypical, and are not powered by batteries but from the track power.So on DCC, where the track is constantly powered, the FRED operates even when the train is stopped. I think the only downside is the price, $40 seems like a lot for a FRED.

funnelfan, I really dig your diagram, and info. It is amazingly usefull, seeing as the price for everything may be a little cheaper. I know the FRED from Sunrise id about 15.98, at least it is where I work, But i never would have thought of this, so Thank You for your help. :)

Kyle

Basically, the RIng Engineering one is the FRED itself, plus a wafer-thin circuit board that fits between the truck frames, over the axles. It's well-hidden once installed. There's a tube that fits over the axles which attaches to the circuit board; the wheelset is pretty much attached permanently to the circuit board. I think they said they use P2K trucks and wheelsets.

When I got mine, they only offered the 36" wheel version. Now they have the 33" wheel version, for smaller freight cars.

Kennedy

After viewing the Ring Eng FRED at the club I decided to get 3 so I can use 3 different cars on the end of the train.:D .

Back