Bent Pilot axle

While running my PS-4 today, I noticed the second axle on the pilot truck wasn't spinning. I removed the truck and started pushing it on its own. The engineer side wheel seems to be out of true, which makes me wonder if the axle is bent. My question is, what can I do about it? I bought the engine used. It is probably a late 70's or early 80's Rivarossi locomotive (standard HO). I can post pictures in the morning.

The best thing to do is measure the wheel size on the model, then look at what Northwest Shortline has in the way of replacement wheelsets. I have a brass PS-4 here but the pilot truck wheels may not be the same as what's on a Rivarossi. They typically share chassis among roadnames so sizes are sometimes not quite prototypical, or I would measure mine for you. The wheel may also simply be cocked on the axle a little. Is the axle metal? If it's a metal axle & plastic wheel you may be able to straighten it. If it's really bent, NWSL will have something that will replace it.

Looking at it again, it appears to be a metal axle. On the ends of the axle, they pressed on some plastic wheel centers. Metal tyres were pressed on the wheel centers. The wobble wheel seems to have somehow slid off its center a little ways. I am afraid to try to beat it back on cause I might break the center. I am also not sure a replacement would work because I can't see a good way to remove the wheelset from the frame. It appears that the set was placed in the truck frame and a small metal tab bent over it to form the axle. It looks like it will break off if I try to pull it up. Anyone else have experience with a truck like this?

That wheel should just pull off the axle. The Rivarossi's pacifics are all basically the same model, of a USRA heavy Pacific. Great Kitbashing material.

Back