Beginning of the "N"

its only start, track is only to play around with for now, but tell me what ya think of these few pics.

l_0d2f53da2f484f32a789500e6a72eede.jpg
l_cfd6025946bf4ae69e846d59a21d78ec.jpg
l_07f6ed3c7aa94cbdba85bfa903496607.jpg
l_c7e434da167c43b5b448a5cf5a424556.jpg
l_c018bef9a30b453f98e67fe61597f725.jpg
l_c8e1fa10e29744d296ddc7332203f2de.jpg
l_f6f86e8b51694f2784790a26db0ed658.jpg
l_0878113caac24ec5b6231bd0c8f41484.jpg

THERE'S NO SIZE DIFFERENCE IM TELLING YOU!!!!
l_b71ca47c581a4e9995afbd5c11b91d19.jpg

The Santa Fe is a giant problem child, it doesn't run very smooth, and dies randomly and wont start up until it feels like it, im wondering what i can do to fix this as its my only engine still running.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be tempted to use all the space for one scale.

Are you going to make, or already have cutouts to reach the far ends?

Wow! Old house! I don't see any legs on the benchwork...in fact I don't see any benchwork. Where does the wiring run? I looked closer...there is structure holding it all up. Sorry

yes it is tempting to use all that space for one scale, originally i was going O scale but as im out of work now i needed to downsize as to go a bit cheaper, so i dug up my dads old N Scale and was messing with it, now im making a full blown layout for it, i want scenery and all, and who knows if i like it enough that whole thing might turn into N scale.

Update time. Our Santa Fe 4-8-4 has decided the world is better without it.

We had it running with only 6-7 cars nothing fancy for a big 4-8-4, well idk it started to spit and spudder then just died all together, all today we tried getting it going by doing very basic things, like cleaning the track dust off the contact.

Just as we thought the light at the end of that tunnel was coming the engine lunged forward with one might push it stopped and a with a nice smell of ozone, we immediately killed power and yanked the engine from the track when we found out it had warmed up a good amount.
after that the engine wont move, seems like it wants to as the gears sift slightly every so often but we believe it to be dead.
We will attempt to take the shell off and get some snaps of what we find, maybe one of you can help us get our engine up and running so im not stuck running the only engine we have left.
thomas2.jpg

yes its all i have to run with right now, PLEASE HELP.

Sounds like one of the gears split on one of the drive axles. It will cause the mechanism to bind, and the motor to heat up. Call Blachmann's customer service department at 1-800-356-3910, it should be covered under their lifetime warranty. I know it used to cost about $15 to get the old broken engine replaced, much cheaper than buying a new one. I got one replaced a few years ago, and I paid $15 plus postage to get a new, updated 4-8-4 from them.

me and my father will have to do that, we loved this engine, its got really good detail looks amazing but since day one it has been killing itself we believe.

Steamers are my favorite too. It's so hard to give up on an old friend. If you never do get it fixed you can at least have it pose on a siding for the rest of its days.

$15 to Bachmann will score you a brand new one with the revised mechanicals. Best deal in the hobby!

Yours was the older one with the questionable drive in it. The newer ones are a BIG improvement. The shell is still the same, and somewhat lacking in the detail department, but I think you'll be happy with the new drive.

Back