Bathtub gons

Yes.

However the ones carrying scrap will never see coal again. I've seen photos of a few 2nd (maybe 3rd) hand owners using them in scrap service.

Yes.

However the ones carrying scrap will never see coal again. I've seen photos of a few 2nd (maybe 3rd) hand owners using them in scrap service.

Great Josh !

Do they fill them up, or just half way ? I would think half way. Heavy stuff , that !

I've seen around 2/3 - 3/4 in the photos I've seen. They have 100T trucks and scrap in lower side gondola's peaks around 65T IIRC.

It must be noted, that the common style hauling scrap is of the http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=4249 style with sloped ends such as those made by Atlas and Intermountain. The more modern incarnation, aluminum built, straight end Coalporter style like Athearn and Walthers make (as well as LBF; soon to come to Atlas Trainman) are not yet seen in scrap service, but I'm sure a day will come, thought I think the aluminum sides might be far to weak.

The reason to believe the car can go to at least 3/4 height loads is evident when looking at high side gondolas, which are commonly loaded with scrap to the top, and they ride on 100T trucks as well.

I just found this

AMGX205088_Galesburg20IL_Doug20Star.png

It must be noted, that the common style hauling scrap is of the http://www.railcarphotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=4249 style with sloped ends such as those made by Atlas and Intermountain. The more modern incarnation, aluminum built, straight end Coalporter style like Athearn and Walthers make (as well as LBF; soon to come to Atlas Trainman) are not yet seen in scrap service, but I'm sure a day will come, thought I think the aluminum sides might be far to weak.

The reason to believe the car can go to at least 3/4 height loads is evident when looking at high side gondolas, which are commonly loaded with scrap to the top, and they ride on 100T trucks as well.

My father used to drive dump truck. dump box was aluminum and he wasn't able to haul rock as it would dent and possibly puncture the side. So I would have to say i doubt they will ever get into hauling scrap

Back