Basics of railroad operation

DaytonPiquaRR

Freelance
Since I want to get the most out of model railroading and not just building a neat layout, can anyone share simply the process of how a real railroad operates or give links to articles on the process?

I would like to be able to understand that aspect of it, but since I am not currently in a club and have never worked for a railroad, it is hard to learn without being shown first hand.

Well I started reading into some of this information and my first thoughts are about my locos. I will be modeling steam exclusively and am wondering how the operations differ between diesels and steam?

I know the concepts are the same on how the freight is moved, but I notice the diesels can run in either orientation, where I don't see steam doing that. How does this affect run arounds and how they operate in yards? Does this mean you must have a round-house to turn them around?

Steam operated the yards the same way. They pushed and pulled. They can operate in reverse just as fast. For a return trip, a "Y" was used when a turn table wasn't availible. But mostly a steam engine had to be serviced so another engine took the return trip untill the engine was ready again. There was more work involved to get a steamer ready for another trip. Not just fuel and go like diesels. Coal,water restocked, greased, firepits cleaned ect.

That's an excellent book that Jim recommended, I have it myself. But there's a book by John Armstrong that I think you'll also find useful:
Track Planning for Realistic Operation. It not only describes how prototype trains were scheduled and operated, but describes their track arrangements and ways to fit them within your own track plan.

(I sure wish I'd read it before I built my own layout...!:eek: )

I have a very large layout 24x24 and we use 2 Ys to turn around and hope to expand and put in a turntable and round house in stage X of the process. Looks like everyone is giving you great information and there are tons of things to learn. But if this is you first layout and you are starting out it is ok to do what some of us have to and do and pretend. Just pick it up and turn it around. Sometimes all limitations cant be overcome. Make sure you enjoy and if you are like the rest of us the first wont be the last.

Turning facilities of some kind were much more important in the steam era. As Bob said, it doesn't matter in the yards, where steam switchers would push or pull just like diesels but it mattered a great deal to road engines. A steam engine could run in reverse but not as fast as it could running forward and it was hard on the valve gear. In the days before the power reverse, just getting a road engine in reverse was a real chore. If I was planning a steam era layout, I'd include space for a wye ( or "Y", because of the shape of the track) at one end of the line and a roundhouse at the other. Railroads couldn't afford a roundhouse every place they needed to turn an engine so a wye track was used. The advantage of a wye for a prototype railroad is that it's relatively cheap. You just need four regular turnouts and a wye turnout. The disadvantage for modelers is they wye's take up a lot of space. You need a either a runaround track that will hold you longest theoretical train or the tail of the wye has to be long enough to hold that train. This is a good example of why planning your layout for operations before you build is so vital. If you don't plan a wye track, you'll find your steam engine trapped running in reverse, something real railroads always tried to avoid.

Back