Basic stuff

JustMe

ok so i searched and searched..... i have these atlas remote turnouts with three wires, and i dont know how to wire them or what to do. i have a proto 2000 power supply and two other life like power supplies. i tried to wire one up and had it working but then i noticed as it was smoking i messed it up. i do have one of the switches and didnt wire that so maybe that was the problem. also about this wiring with the track, if i run a hundred or so feet of track how should i wire it. im using dc for now. i just dont know thats why im asking.

You have a common wire that is connected to the center of two coils. The other two are connected to each end to operate one coil. They use AC current. I do not know if they operate on DC.You do not press the switch a long time or it will burn up the coil. I am going with common knowledge here.
With 100 feet of track, you need to refeed the power to the track every 15 or 20 feet, with another set of leads from the same transformer. This will prevent the engine from slowing down at the furthest distance from the transformer. After the wire addition the engine will only run like it is 15 feet away from the transformer and not 99.
hope this helps. The switch information is usually on the back of the packaging.
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
that does help thank you. the only reason i asked about the turnouts was cuz they didnt come in the package i got them from ebay.

Back