Basic oxygen furnace scratch build in HO {steel mill related}

dragonriversteel

Dragon-River-Steel-Corp
Hello all,

I've been building the largest structure on DRSC, an HO scale BOF. Last night I worked on the down-comer pipes as well as other piping. The photo was taken last week and has changed a lot since then.

I'll keep you steel hounds up-dated on my progress as time permits. I also built a small scrap pile out of styrofoam , cut up freight cars,pencil shavings and odds & ends.Turned out rather nice.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
Dragon River Steel Corp {DRSC}

BOF2004.png

BOF2003-1.png

BOF2002-1.png

BOF2001-1.png

More pictures to follow....

Holy cow! Is that N or HO? Either way, that's one huge structure. What is the building material? It looks like cardstock but I can't imagine how much bracing it must have taken to hold it together if it's cardstock.

WOW! That is one HUGE building. I've gotta ask the same thing HO, or N? If I remember right, you model HO right?

Hey Patrick, lookn' good! Can't wait to see the downcombers...

Hey Ken,

Yeah shes coming right along,haven't really had much time to get into it.The past two weeks have been pretty busy,doing you guessed it...."the honey do list".

If I get a chance,I'll work on the beast tonight. I have however been working on the down-comer pipes as well as the {imagineered} piping going part way around the structure.

If it wasn't for running into you Ken, I wouldn't have made it this far....thank you.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

Holy cow! Is that N or HO? Either way, that's one huge structure. What is the building material? It looks like cardstock but I can't imagine how much bracing it must have taken to hold it together if it's cardstock.

Hello Jim,

Pretty much the entire structure is made from corrugated plastic signs,covered in projection screen TV protective surface. You see the siding came from old projection screen TV's, I happen to stumble apone the stuff one day at work. This screen cover is worth its weight in gold. It looks just like HO scale sheet metal.

I've thought about making kits for others ,who want a BOF. Trouble is the entire structure measures 4' long X 4' wide X 3' high. It might be way to big for someones layout.

Speaking of cardstock...I have to make the half-curved BOF vents out cardstock. It is the only suitable thing, I've found thus far.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC

WOW! That is one HUGE building. I've gotta ask the same thing HO, or N? If I remember right, you model HO right?

Hello Josh,

Yuper HO....this will be the largest HO structure on my layout. Man I haven't even layed any track yet. The blast furnace,coke ovens and slag pit have their own piece of plywood. The BOF is in another zip code...LOL.

More to come....

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
DRSC

The pics don't work anymore. Any chance of rehosting them or taking new ones?

I'm just getting started, and being in the steel industry myself, I'd be very interested in trying to at least get a partial mill set-up.

Back