Barrel Factory Build

RonP

We started this kit this week it is slated to be added to the diorama I am building. The pictures have improved since getting a camera stand. Hope you enjoy the build

Full build here

Ron, I think you're setting some kind of speed record for wooden building models. :)

The thing is I have this diorama started and this is the other side to it. I have a vision of what i want and it is driving me to complete it.

So instead of drop everything and build this model I decided to hunker down and complete the rest of the models too. I am going on a trip in a few days and will have time to relax then.

Hope you enjoy the build
Hi Ron be assured I have enjoyed your presentation very much. Excellent craftsmanship, looks simple enough for others to try a hand at scratch building. I realize first attempts may leave a bit to be desired when compared to your efforts but it would be nice if more members made the attempt.
I wonder how many would join in, if you sort of led a Forum seminar based on a not too complex a building. Sure would be interesting.

Cheers Willis

Hi Ron be assured I have enjoyed your presentation very much. Excellent craftsmanship, looks simple enough for others to try a hand at scratch building. I realize first attempts may leave a bit to be desired when compared to your efforts but it would be nice if more members made the attempt.
I wonder how many would join in, if you sort of led a Forum seminar based on a not too complex a building. Sure would be interesting.

Cheers Willis

Sir this is a wood craftsman kit by www.fullsteamahead.ca Joe makes a great product with some of the best instructions i have seen in a kit. Scratchbuilding is more then just structures. It is the ability to make what you need to fill in the blanks, with materials on hand IMHO.

Sir this is a wood craftsman kit by www.fullsteamahead.ca Joe makes a great product with some of the best instructions i have seen in a kit. Scratchbuilding is more then just structures. It is the ability to make what you need to fill in the blanks, with materials on hand IMHO.
I guess I've just been told huh! :D
Seriously, think about it, no matter how fine a craftsman kit it is, it's still only the raw materials to make/build the end item. I for one, and trying my best, could take one of the finest kits made, and in the end make one hell of a mess out of it. Actually I do have a couple finished kits I built many years ago and they're still in hiding, and I intend on keeping them there :D

Cheers Willis

I guess I've just been told huh! :D
Seriously, think about it, no matter how fine a craftsman kit it is, it's still only the raw materials to make/build the end item. I for one, and trying my best, could take one of the finest kits made, and in the end make one hell of a mess out of it. Actually I do have a couple finished kits I built many years ago and they're still in hiding, and I intend on keeping them there :D

Cheers Willis

Thank you for your kind words. BTW fantastic looking layout you have there.

Ron I always thought of scratchbuilding as starting from basic materials as opposed to kits or kitbashing in making something just right for the layout. Both require many of the same skills, though I do enjoy a pure scratchbuild more then a kit or kitbash as I feel more like the building is mine especially when no one has made a kit of it.

Ron I always thought of scratchbuilding as starting from basic materials as opposed to kits or kitbashing in making something just right for the layout. Both require many of the same skills, though I do enjoy a pure scratchbuild more then a kit or kitbash as I feel more like the building is mine especially when no one has made a kit of it.

Something I will spend many years trying to perfect. I am sure another 20 years from now i will be as good as you.

Thank you for your kind words. BTW fantastic looking layout you have there.
Thanks Ron, I've been away from it for quite a spell, Last night was the first I've done anything to it close to 2 years. Last night, this morning and I plan a session for tonight, so soon there may be some progress.

Cheers Willis

Great work, especially on the loading docks, which I always manage to get out of plumb. :) The roof shingles are interesting - what are they made from? Almost looks like some kind of slate or something.

Back