Bar Mills Visit

Railrunner130

The family and I decided to head north this summer on our vacation and head to Maine. I'd been there before, but not in a while.

Anyhow, I looked up Bar Mills Models and checked out the feasibility of stopping there on the way through. Come to find out that it's about 10-15 minutes from I-95. So, I decided to drop Art Fahie an e-mail and see if I might be able to stop by. He quickly agreed to meet with me. As it turned out, the visit would end up being on our trip home.

When we got there, I quickly realized that the building is a copy of the Phillips Station on the SR&RL Railroad. Art greeted us in and invited us to take photos. I had left my phone in the car because it needed to charge, so unfortunately I have nothing to share in that department. The wife and kids bugged out quickly, so I got a thorough, private tour with him and his assistant Len. As an added bonus, I got to meet not only the Mrs., but his grandson, who was running the families' N-scale layout with his foreign exchange friend and the family dog.

I got to see all the laser cutters in action, (the CO2 cutter is the coolest) the metal casting process and a wall with the entire cast of Bar Mills characters. All the Bar Mills demo models are neatly kept on shelves, along with the Wharf Street layout, which is prominently displayed as you walk in. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.... There was a lot to see in a compact space.

Anyhow, if you get the chance to go see the Bar Mills operation, I strongly encourage it.

Sounds like you had a great time visiting Bar Mills. Just from their product selection and service I received, I always believed that Bar Mills was a company run by a great team that provided customer service in all aspects of their operations.

Glad you saw their operations first hand.

Did you purchase anything?

Greg

Greg,
I purchased a Wicked Wanda's and a Schmidtchen's. I meant to get a Cundy Cannery also, but it slipped my mind. No idea when I'll get to build them though....

Back