Ballast - would you do it this way?

Would you spend the time to sift material to get ballast?

• Yes

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 64.3%

• Total voters
On my "never uncouple" consists, I remove the KD arms after the first car behind the motive power. And some motive power consists have a dedicated operating direction - I remove the KD arms on the front unit to avoid conflicts with snow plows, etc and to improve the aesthetics.

I just clip off the "air hoses" 100% all the time. I dont use them, dont need them, and I hate them.

I prefer the from-the-top uncoupling method anyway, ans it all works out for me.

Eventually, I am planning on getting sargent couplers.

i took cat litter picked the blue stuff out and crushed it in a plastic bag with my shop press
so i think your idea isnt to far off i am cheap but it really doesnt matter as long as you like it

I tried that but it soon got old.....I got a few teaspoonfulls of ballast and lots of fine dirt and smaller stones. I use it mostly for landscaping - I decided buying ballast was the way to go....:D

Thats stuff is called SLAG its the stuff that forms on top on molten steel when they make metal. Its not magnetic because its just junk that got in the cast. I use it for brick paver's as a base.

When i was younger I used to go around to my neighbors and ask them if I could get the granules from there asphalt roof in the gutters. I used the greys for ballast and the black for coal loads. I liked it.

I got some rock from a quarry near me (VA) and it had some fine rock that looked great and I sifted it only to find out it had a ton of metal in the rock. Can't use it.
Dave

Back