Backing for a "Metal" Sign?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

Hey Der Folks!

I am working on my first craftsman kit J. Keen Supplies. The kit came with assorted little signs. I am wondering what type of backing do you use on these to replicate a metal sign? I seen a tutorial that used an aluminum can when making street signs, but I think that might be to thick for a wall sign. I know how to do the "painted on' look, but unsure of how to create a metal looking sign.

Thank You in Advance,

-Steven

twforeman

If you are mounting it on a wall then you could just glue the paper on the wall. I would hit it with some dull coat and then weather it first.

I make signs on "InkJet Presentation" paper with my printer. It's a little heavier than regular printer paper and takes ink very well without being a photo paper.

If you want it to be stiffer or thicker you could glue it to some .010" or .015" styrene. I've also done that.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.