Backdrop Techniques

D

dthurman

I am currently looking at changing how I have me backdrop setup. I was using masonite board with wallpapered clouds, while they look okay for photographing, they leave a little to be desired for in person perspective. My girlfreind wants to paint over the hardboard, or another thought she had was to buy plexiglass, snadblast or rough the back and paint it blue, graduating the blue down for how the sky is, then on the front of the glass, paint the clouds, she is thinking this will create a 2 dimensional effect.

What are others thoughts, or what have you used, and can you post some pictures. Pardon me also, I hope I am posting in the right area.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't come up with a decent looking hand painted cloud on our backdrops, so I just went with plain blue sky. Plain blue (with a lightening toward the bottom) is a good representative of the real world many times anyway. We're used to seeing layouts done by professional artists but I proved to myself that I'm not a professional artist... :)

Well Carol (my GF) is pretty good, her idea of a 2 sided backdrop with clouds on the front sounded interesting, maybe giving some depth to the sky at least. My other option is to just take pictures of the real deal, and stitch them together, but quality photo printing can get a little exspensive also, given if it didn't work out, I wasted all that money, time I don't mind, but $$ is another thing...

Eric

Thanks for that link, they have a couple of how to's on creating some detail material also, very nice :)

I think I need to sit back and think this over, I feel that a backdrop will make or break the illusion we modelers are after, when you add in the photography element, which I really enjoy as a side part of the hobby, well you know ;)

BTW do you have a website were you have your whole layout posted?

dthurman said:
Eric

Thanks for that link, they have a couple of how to's on creating some detail material also, very nice :)

I think I need to sit back and think this over, I feel that a backdrop will make or break the illusion we modelers are after, when you add in the photography element, which I really enjoy as a side part of the hobby, well you know ;)

BTW do you have a website were you have your whole layout posted?

No website, just the "tour" posted here and our photo album. I need to get my sister to work on a website. Video would be cool... ;)

You did see these, right?

http://www.realisticbackgrounds.com/images/store/largeimages/704-09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The plexiglass would be a great idea. I have used Lexan in the past in my metal sculptures for wings on butterflies, dragonflies, etc. The paint of 1 color on 1 side & another color on the other works great & does give depth to the piece. But, I don't think the cost of what you are thinking is feasable. That stuff is real expensive & has a tendency to crack if you don't use the right cutting tools.
Backdrop warehouse, your own art or the art of others is the best. Photographs are neat, but, they are also expensive. I have a mountain backdrop that someone else started 2 years ago for me & never finished it, but, I think I can finish it w/out to much trouble. Model Railroader magazine had a great article this year or last about backdrops & clouds & gave all the paint colors you needed. Mine is 40 ft. by 6ft. high on 1 wall, 28ft. long on another wall, & 36ft on another wall. Just think what that would cost from Backdrop warehouse.

Larry

Back