Back to the Future III Locomotive

100% made up.

But... I just bought a DeLorean.....

What I meant was the real locomotive used had to come from somewhere. I know the one they throw off the bridge is a scale model, but for the scences where they needed the real thing it is a real locomotive. I just wondered where it came from.

Its a 4-6-0, I think it could be pulled off with some modeling, but I remember reading about how it was a made up unit.

Me Too! Can you imagine how much wood or coal would be needed to burn and create enough steam to generate 1.21 jiawatts of power. Reminds me of the FRP game "Space 1889".

That was the nice thing about Mr. Fusion. Small, compact mega-power generation for the masses. It could be housed with ease in the Time-Travel Train.:rolleyes:

Scoot

Found some more info on this little engine:
http://www.csrmf.org/railtown/doc.asp?id=406

And this too:

Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:50 am

TRAINS: JAMESTOWN, Calif. - Sierra Railroad 4-6-0 No. 3, the famous steam locomotive used in countless movies and television shows, will need a new boiler if it is to run again, the Tuolumne Union Democrat reported.

Built in 1891 by Rogers Locomotive & Machine Works of Paterson, N.J., No. 3 is housed at Railtown 1897 State Park, the Sierra's former roundhouse and yard complex in Jamestown. Railtown employees have determined the engine will require costly renovations, including a new boiler, since the old one has too many cracks to be repaired. The boiler will be transported Aug. 17 to Sacramento for inspection at the California State Railroad Museum. From there, measurements will be sent to the Strasburg Rail Road in Pennsylvania, which will complete technical drawings for the new boiler. State railroad museum officials will then decide whether or not to contract with it or another repair firm. If chosen, Strasburg will create a construction blueprint and begin work.

The project, which includes the new boiler and repairing surrounding components, will cost at least $600,000 and possibly more. Close to $600,000 was raised in the last two years for No. 3's restoration. The California Cultural and Historical Endowment granted the project $300,000. The Sonora Area Foundation and the Irving J. Symons Foundation donated $50,000, which matched local community donations dollar for dollar. More than $50,000 was donated by community members and members of the railroad museum, the Union Democrat reported. The remaining funds were raised through benefit concerts and wine and cheese events held over the last two years. The California State Railroad Museum will donate labor and a commercial paint firm will donate the paint for the engine. Officials hope to have No. 3 running by April 2009

Back