Back into model trains after 40+ years. Looking for info and documents.

Hello all you train guys. I am Michael and I live in the DFW area. I am 61 and have been out of model trains since I was 19 years old. A few years ago I sold most of my trains. They had been sitting in boxes since I got married in 1982 and I knew, or thought, I would never set them up again. I saved two sets for my grandsons and I also saved my nice and sentimental trains, the rest of them and it was a lot, were sold. I had a triple bypass in November and sitting around recovering, I started pining about getting a Big Boy. I wanted one since I was a teenager and I started looking for one. One thing led to another and now I have bought a large number of trains. I also have become interested in repairing them. This is the reason I joined this group. I wonder, is there a source where one can find the owner's manuals for old DC locomotives? Many of them have a detailed exploded view of the locomotives and that would be a big help in repairing them. I will scan the ones I have and share them with the group if anyone wants them. I will add them later, don't have them scanned right now. I am interested in Tyco (which I understand is a Japanese word that means junk.) Bachmann, Life-Like, AHM, and so on. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Last edited:
Here is me with my Santa Fe Super Chief. Got it for my birthday in 1971. Also one of my early layouts. I still have the locomotive.

Attachments

• 1971-Michael.jpg
    1971-Michael.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 1978-Layout.jpg
    1978-Layout.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Welcome, MQ-Michael! Tyco may be a Japanese word for "junk", but Tyco was simply the name of the outfit that took over from Mantua. Mantua steam locomotives are far from junk, and there is a lot of complete engines and ones that need work or are parts that can be used to fix up ones that need restoration. Ebay has a lot of stuff, including, I believe, some diagrams. I have more of the larger 2-8-2 Mikados and 4-6-4 Pacifics than I have room on my layout. I love reworking them and have converted a number of Mikados to 2-10-2 and 2-10-4's by what I call "hacksaw conversions" (might start a "Mantua Anonamous). While the originals come with open-frame, direct drive DC motors, it is possible to change the motors for can motors, either direct drive or, if you can find a gearbox, you can get much better performance. If so inclined, you can add a decoder, capacitor and speaker for DCC and sound. Mantua rolling stock is okay, although I would recommend changing the truck-mounted couplers for body-mounted Kaydee couplers. For diesel engines, I prefer any of the modern models, but Athearn blue-box F7's are pretty good.
For most rolling stock, you might pick up any number of manufacturer's cars. The old Athearn "blue box" were great, and would probably cost less than the modern production.
Again, welcome. Let us know if you have particular questions. You'll probably get more help than you will know what to do with!

Hey welcome to the site Mike. Trains are really addictive, model or real ones, it's just in your blood or it just isn't.
I still have some of my old stuff too... Tyco, Lionel, Roundhouse, Bachmann, Athearn Blue Box, they were big names back in the 60's - 70's.

Have fun man!
Z

Last edited:
Welcome, MQ-Michael! Tyco may be a Japanese word for "junk", but Tyco was simply the name of the outfit that took over from Mantua. Mantua steam locomotives are far from junk, and there is a lot of complete engines and ones that need work or are parts that can be used to fix up ones that need restoration. Ebay has a lot of stuff, including, I believe, some diagrams. I have more of the larger 2-8-2 Mikados and 4-6-4 Pacifics than I have room on my layout. I love reworking them and have converted a number of Mikados to 2-10-2 and 2-10-4's by what I call "hacksaw conversions" (might start a "Mantua Anonamous). While the originals come with open-frame, direct drive DC motors, it is possible to change the motors for can motors, either direct drive or, if you can find a gearbox, you can get much better performance. If so inclined, you can add a decoder, capacitor and speaker for DCC and sound. Mantua rolling stock is okay, although I would recommend changing the truck-mounted couplers for body-mounted Kaydee couplers. For diesel engines, I prefer any of the modern models, but Athearn blue-box F7's are pretty good.
For most rolling stock, you might pick up any number of manufacturer's cars. The old Athearn "blue box" were great, and would probably cost less than the modern production.
Again, welcome. Let us know if you have particular questions. You'll probably get more help than you will know what to do with!
Maybe I was a little harsh on Tyco, but it was all in fun. I had a ton of Tyco stuff when I was a kid, most of it stopped running years ago so I sold it. But one locomotive, the Super Chief still runs after 53 years. I have also bought some Tyco stuff, which I know is broken, in the hope I can mend it. I managed to fix a Spirit of 76 C-630, so I am a little excited to try another one. I failed to repair my Bachman GS-4 Daylight, but I learned what was wrong with it and how to mend the other one I have. I will give it a go, fingers crossed. Thanks for your reply.
Michael

Hey welcome to the site Mike. Trains are really addictive, model or real ones, it's just in your blood or it just isn't.
I still have some of my old stuff too... Tyco, Lionel, Roundhouse, Bachmann, Athearn Blue Box, they were big names back in the 60's - 70's.

Have fun man!
Z
Thanks.

Hello all you train guys. I am Michael and I live in the DFW area. I am 61 and have been out of model trains since I was 19 years old. A few years ago I sold most of my trains. They had been sitting in boxes since I got married in 1982 and I knew, or thought, I would never set them up again. I saved two sets for my grandsons and I also saved my nice and sentimental trains, the rest of them and it was a lot, were sold. I had a triple bypass in November and sitting around recovering, I started pining about getting a Big Boy. I wanted one since I was a teenager and I started looking for one. One thing led to another and now I have bought a large number of trains. I also have become interested in repairing them. This is the reason I joined this group. I wonder, is there a source where one can find the owner's manuals for old DC locomotives? Many of them have a detailed exploded view of the locomotives and that would be a big help in repairing them. I will scan the ones I have and share them with the group if anyone wants them. I will add them later, don't have them scanned right now. I am interested in Tyco (which I understand is a Chinese word that means junk.) Bachmann, Life-Like, AHM, and so on. Thanks for reading my ramblings.
Does anyone have a good scan of the owners manual for the Life-Like F-9?

Attachments

• IMG_7474.JPG
    IMG_7474.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 12
Hello all you train guys. I am Michael and I live in the DFW area. I am 61 and have been out of model trains since I was 19 years old. A few years ago I sold most of my trains. They had been sitting in boxes since I got married in 1982 and I knew, or thought, I would never set them up again. I saved two sets for my grandsons and I also saved my nice and sentimental trains, the rest of them and it was a lot, were sold. I had a triple bypass in November and sitting around recovering, I started pining about getting a Big Boy. I wanted one since I was a teenager and I started looking for one. One thing led to another and now I have bought a large number of trains. I also have become interested in repairing them. This is the reason I joined this group. I wonder, is there a source where one can find the owner's manuals for old DC locomotives? Many of them have a detailed exploded view of the locomotives and that would be a big help in repairing them. I will scan the ones I have and share them with the group if anyone wants them. I will add them later, don't have them scanned right now. I am interested in Tyco (which I understand is a Chinese word that means junk.) Bachmann, Life-Like, AHM, and so on. Thanks for reading my ramblings.
Owner's manual for the IHC GG-1 and Rivarossi GG1. The only two I had time to scan tonight. About to get hammered by thunderstorms.

Attachments

• IHC GG-1.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • Rivarossi GG-1 Models 5160-B-C-D-F-H-J-K-1976.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 15
Ahoy Michael,

I enjoyed your intro and seems we have a few things in common; one of which is a hiatus from Model Trains but for far different circumstances.

Also, I sold off all of my Model Trains in early 2023; consisting of G-O-S-HO and N gauges/scales.

Into a siding: Some decades ago I spent a bit of time in the DFW area visiting the TRE facility (arranged by a "local" friend) where they were refurbishing RDC's purchased from VIA Rail Canada. That was quite a memorable experience as my travels included seeing those RDC's "up close 'n personal" in Halifax, NS while they were pretty much at the end of their "runs" to Sydney (north) and Yarmouth (south). Anyway . . .

I traveled with the motorman on a round-trip from the TRE CentrePort-DFW station to Dallas and reveled every click 'n clack.

Back to Model Trains: My first set was a Lionel O27 PRR S-2 Turbine "work train" with MagneTraction; vintage 1948-49. I added to that set over my childhood years but once entering the military in 1956, all of those Toy Trains wound up being sold while I was in 13-weeks of Boot Camp; broke my heart.

About a decade later, I purchased an HO Tyco freight set - PRR (Brunswick green) for my first born son (yeah, right!) and set up an oval with a few switches on a 4x8 ft sheet of plywood. That was my "beginning" into Model Trains as opposed to the Toy variety.

With 32-years in service and 13 relocations, it was pretty much impossible to sustain a layout - although I added other Tyco sets and rolling stock, etc. over the years. Tyco served me well and even though they were surpassed by other manufacturers (in particular: Athearn), my appreciation for what they offered never waned - plus they were affordable!

Once retired, I refurbished my basement and turned it into a Model Train "Empire" . . . featuring HO on a 35 ft length of plywood with widths varying from 7 to 15 ft; on a walk-around arrangement. I will get A-ROUND-TUIT with fotos at some point as I too am a "newbie" on these Forums.

Why did I sell my "stuff"? Winding up alone in life - ravages of aging and all the rest in the so-called-Golden Years along with waning interest just "did it." Rather than box everything up for my Executor to handle, I sold it all to locals and a large amount to an organization in Georgia (they paid for shipping!). Sure, I probably came out on the short-end of it all, however - what I received more than paid for my re-entry with modern-day Lionel Toy Trains - 3 sets of LionChief to be run on my under-construction 16x8 ft layout.

So, that is my story and hope to "see you again" on these Forums.

Regards,

Tom in Missouri

Last edited:
Ahoy Michael,

I enjoyed your intro and seems we have a few things in common; one of which is a hiatus from Model Trains but for far different circumstances.

Also, I sold off all of my Model Trains in early 2023; consisting of G-O-S-HO and N gauges/scales.

Into a siding: Some decades ago I spent a bit of time in the DFW area visiting the TRE facility (arranged by a "local" friend) where they were refurbishing RDC's purchased from VIA Rail Canada. That was quite a memorable experience as my travels included seeing those RDC's "up close 'n personal" in Halifax, NS while they were pretty much at the end of their "runs" to Sydney (north) and Yarmouth (south). Anyway . . .

I traveled with the motorman on a round-trip from the TRE CentrePort-DFW station to Dallas and reveled every click 'n clack.

Back to Model Trains: My first set was a Lionel O27 PRR S-2 Turbine "work train" with MagneTraction; vintage 1948-49. I added to that set over my childhood years but once entering the military in 1956, all of those Toy Trains wound up being sold while I was in 13-weeks of Boot Camp; broke my heart.

About a decade later, I purchased an HO Tyco freight set - PRR (Brunswick green) for my first born son (yeah, right!) and set up an oval with a few switches on a 4x8 ft sheet of plywood. That was my "beginning" into Model Trains as opposed to the Toy variety.

With 32-years in service and 13 relocations, it was pretty much impossible to sustain a layout - although I added other Tyco sets and rolling stock, etc. over the years. Tyco served me well and even though they were surpassed by other manufacturers (in particular: Athearn), my appreciation for what they offered never waned - plus they were affordable!

Once retired, I refurbished my basement and turned it into a Model Train "Empire" . . . featuring HO on a 35 ft length of plywood with widths varying from 7 to 15 ft; on a walk-around arrangement. I will get A-ROUND-TUIT with fotos at some point as I too am a "newbie" on these Forums.

Why did I sell my "stuff"? Winding up alone in life - ravages of aging and all the rest in the so-called-Golden Years along with waning interest just "did it." Rather than box everything up for my Executor to handle, I sold it all to locals and a large amount to an organization in Georgia (they paid for shipping!). Sure, I probably came out on the short-end of it all, however - what I received more than paid for my re-entry with modern-day Lionel Toy Trains - 3 sets of LionChief to be run on my under-construction 16x8 ft layout.

So, that is my story and hope to "see you again" on these Forums.

Regards,

Tom in Missouri
Your set up is fantastic. I have no room for such a thing, but I wish I did.

Your set up is fantastic. I have no room for such a thing, but I wish I did.
Funny thing about how one of the "things" in life we can count on is: change.
I never imagined having such a large basement to refurbish and accommodate my hobby interests - but it happened.

Hang in there and ENJOY by all means that which you have!

Cheers!

Tom in Missouri

Back