Bachmann's EZ Track Turnouts

Improvable

Earlier this week I purchased a DCC crossover turnout for Bachmann's EZ Track (HO scale) and noticed an issue where an engine loses power once they reach the track and comes to a complete stop. I haven't determined if it was a power thing or a DCC configuration thing, especially since I wasn't intending to actually control the switches but use the turnout to link the two loops together under one power pack, but when I removed the turnout and just ran a simple closed circuit oval, the engine ran just fine. I even noticed one of the wires seemed to be unplugged when I flipped the turnout over, which you can see in the attached image. So what's the solution? Do I need to provide more power to the track? Is Bachmann's EZ Command Control not good enough? Should I switch to the analog remote switch? Is there another factor I haven't considered yet? If all else fails, I suppose I could switch back to DC.

Attachments

• IMG_7350.png
    IMG_7350.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 72
The instructions don't say anything? That lone connector might be for power to run the switch motors....? Have no experience with this item. Clearly it has a purpose and is taped up, tucked out of the way so it won't get damaged or go missing.

Turnouts that make engines stall are not connected sufficiently to power, or are poorly constructed/designed. I can't see Bachmann taking delivery of a defective product and unloading it on customers. It would destroy their reputation, which hasn't been stellar over the years. So, it is a defective unit and should be returned, or it simply isn't being used properly.

I post this as a non-DCC operator. All of my fellow modelers who use DCC operate their switches on a DC (analog) buss. They route engine power like all other DCC track.
Do I need to provide more power to the track? Is Bachmann's EZ Command Control not good enough?
More power? Or additional contacts? I'm sure the EZ Command Control is sufficient.

The instructions don't say anything? That lone connector might be for power to run the switch motors....? Have no experience with this item. Clearly it has a purpose and is taped up, tucked out of the way so it won't get damaged or go missing.

Turnouts that make engines stall are not connected sufficiently to power, or are poorly constructed/designed. I can't see Bachmann taking delivery of a defective product and unloading it on customers. It would destroy their reputation, which hasn't been stellar over the years. So, it is a defective unit and should be returned, or it simply isn't being used properly.
So if we're to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the product isn't defective, how would I provide more power to the track? I understand Bachmann also produces a power boost which is ez track compatible, so I assume that would be necessary when the track plan reaches a certain size.

Earlier this week I purchased a DCC crossover turnout for Bachmann's EZ Track (HO scale) and noticed an issue where an engine loses power once they reach the track and comes to a complete stop. I haven't determined if it was a power thing or a DCC configuration thing, especially since I wasn't intending to actually control the switches but use the turnout to link the two loops together under one power pack, but when I removed the turnout and just ran a simple closed circuit oval, the engine ran just fine. I even noticed one of the wires seemed to be unplugged when I flipped the turnout over, which you can see in the attached image. So what's the solution? Do I need to provide more power to the track? Is Bachmann's EZ Command Control not good enough? Should I switch to the analog remote switch? Is there another factor I haven't considered yet? If all else fails, I suppose I could switch back to DC.
Since this is a DCC device, that means it has a built in decoder. It gets its power from the track. Your Bachmann EZ Command should be enough. Test this by going back to the closed loop circuit oval you talked about. That should power the turnout. With power applied, there should be a hole between the rails to insert a small screw driver and press and hold for a second or two. The points should switch back and forth indicating the turnout is in programming mode and you can enter its channel number from the command station. There should be directions for doing all this that came with the crossover. I don't know how Bachmann command stations enter channel numbers, so I am no help there. But at least buy flipping the points you would know it is working.

Anyway my guess is that they are power routing and your power loss is approaching one of the frogs on the "dead" portion (turnout is thrown opposite approaching track). My other guess is that the unconnected wire is some sort off output that one can use to know the position of the points for signals or control panel or whatever. As I said this is a GUESS. I don't have any of the manuals for any of these products, nor can I seem to find them on-line.

You paid for a DCC crossover I think it would be a shame to waste it by converting it to analog.

Edit - well I found this - https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/EZ_Command_DCC_Turnout_Instructions.pdf
and this: https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/images/E-Z_Command_instructions.pdf

Last edited:
To answer one of your questions, I would use the analog remote switch. I always used them when I ran Bachmann track and never had a problem with them not throwing.

Dave LASM

Since this is a DCC device, that means it has a built in decoder. It gets its power from the track. Your Bachmann EZ Command should be enough. Test this by going back to the closed loop circuit oval you talked about. That should power the turnout. With power applied, there should be a hole between the rails to insert a small screw driver and press and hold for a second or two. The points should switch back and forth indicating the turnout is in programming mode and you can enter its channel number from the command station. There should be directions for doing all this that came with the crossover. I don't know how Bachmann command stations enter channel numbers, so I am no help there. But at least buy flipping the points you would know it is working.

Anyway my guess is that they are power routing and your power loss is approaching one of the frogs on the "dead" portion (turnout is thrown opposite approaching track). My other guess is that the unconnected wire is some sort off output that one can use to know the position of the points for signals or control panel or whatever. As I said this is a GUESS. I don't have any of the manuals for any of these products, nor can I seem to find them on-line.

You paid for a DCC crossover I think it would be a shame to waste it by converting it to analog.

Edit - well I found this - https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/EZ_Command_DCC_Turnout_Instructions.pdf
and this: https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/images/E-Z_Command_instructions.pdf
Update: It works. Thanks a bunch for the resources

Back