Bachmann spectrum ho 4-4-0 keeps halting over frogs on switches at speed step 1....

Jupiter60

However at speed step 2 or faster it goes right over them with no issue. I have a Dynamis DCC system that detects short circuits and auto kills all power to the tracks when one occurs, however it doesn't do that when the 4-4-0 stops on frogs. Ive pin pointed it to when the first driver touches the frogs (the frogs are unpowered metal ones on bachmann ez switches, mostly #5 turnouts). Usually a little tap gets it moving moving again but I'm worried about this possibly damaging the engine or other engines on my line when it happens, could this be a small short thats small enough for the system not to detect it, or is it just stalling out from not enough contact? It occurs on the majority of my switches at speed step 1. The rear pilot wheel is also on the frog at the same time usually as well when this happens if that matters.

Since it's a 4-4-0, which is a small engine with only a few wheels making contact, and likely at least two of those have traction tires, it's probably just in a spot where none of the wheels that pick up power are contacting rails that have power. Between the unpowered frogs and short wheelbase, it's probably in a spot where it can't get power.
You probably have 3 options:
Run through the turnouts at speed step 2.
Nudge the engine when it stalls.
Install a keep-alive for the decoder.

Back