Bachmann Spectrum Decapod help.

Sir Humphrey

I recently purchased a Bachmann Spectrum Decapod (full Soundtraxx DCC and Sound).

However on my test track is runs jerky at low speeds and poor low speed running, although runs fine from about step 12/28 upwards. I'm relatively new to DCC and have tried to follow changing the relevant CV's and other settings (and making sure to reset after the last few times didn't really work). I'm using an NCE system which works fine with my other DCC items.

I would try it on DC, but my old powerpack chucked it in a while ago, so I can't to make sure it wasn't something mechanical.

Can anyone offer any ideas?

Have you broke the engine in properly? Did you lightly lubricate the engine in the appropriate places? I'll leave the DCC side to others.

I only have experience with one Spectrum locomotive, and that was the J Class 4-8-4. I couldh't get it to run well below 20 scale mph, and neither could my go-to guy who does all my decoder installations and who modifies and fixes all types of locomotives, including his substantial brass collection. It ended up on ebay.

I ran that Spectrum engine forwards and backwards on my grand loop for hours while I sat at the nearby computer and surfed the web. It didn't help. I lubed it....didn't help.

I would like to see you report that someone helped you to get it to be a smooth runner. Maybe others will help you to get there.

I posted this in Feb of 2009. It was a complete tune up on a Spectrum Decapod that belonged to another forum member. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but this is what I have done to all my Spectrums and they all run exceptionally well. Please read the descriptions carefully. Here is the link, and if you do this, I believe that you'll definitely see an improvement.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11415&highlight=Spectrum+tune&page=3

I posted this in Feb of 2009. It was a complete tune up on a Spectrum Decapod that belonged to another forum member. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but this is what I have done to all my Spectrums and they all run exceptionally well. Please read the descriptions carefully. Here is the link, and if you do this, I believe that you'll definitely see an improvement.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/f...um+tune&page=3
Thanks for posting that, but I would probably be better off just sending it back rather than doing that.
---
I ran it in a foam cradle for at least an hour each way yesterday.

However on my test track today it has the same issue as it has before with next to zero improvement. It runs much better in the cradle and has good crawl speed, so its obviously not a DCC issue but something else.

I am really disappointed in this product.

Back