Bachmann Sound Value Diesel Bell and Horn

jwb

It's gradually come out on various forums that the set of sounds available on the Tsunami reduced-function sound decoders that come with Bachmann Sound Value diesels isn't as large as the documentation shows -- it doesn't look like Bachmann/Soundtraxx edited the CV guide to reflect what you actually get on a Sound Value loco. (I'm not complaining, I'm happy you pay less for something smaller that nonetheless works nicely.) Many sounds, like the air compressor, don't come with that decoder at all. Others, like CV 115, the horn, are more limited.

The bell ring rate, CV 114, sounds a little slow to my ear. Its factory default rate is set to 4 on what Soundtraxx says is a 0-15 scale, with 0 the fastest. The default rate sounds maybe a little longer than once a second, although I don't have a stopwatch, and my wrist watch doesn't even have a second hand. Based on listening to first-generation diesel bells on DVDs and Youtube, I think a typical rate is maybe a little faster than once a second, and I set my value for CV 114 to 3, which sounds about right for me. (However, I heard a first-generation EMD SW on a DVD that has a much faster ring rate.) Has anyone else looked at this, played with it, and come up with an opinion?

As far as I can see, CV 115, the horn, has only three options, although someone else may have tried this and has a better answer. Option 1 appears to be a Leslie 3-chime. Option 2 is another 3 chime that seems a little deeper, but I can't immediately identify it. Option 3 appears to be a single-chime, although I think it's actually two single-chimes blowing at once, which is fine for most prototypes. Has anyone taken a closer look at this?

Just a thought. A lot of technical manuals of products that spawn lots of new 'subspecies" generally are cut-and-paste jobs of earlier manuals. The stuff is tossed together and shoved out without much supervision. With limited resources in the "checking" department you can expect erratic information with this type of product. Especially considering the low volumes these products garner.

I agree -- I used to write technical manuals in a prior life, and I know from what you say. On the other hand, the Bachmann Sound Value units are a great starting point, and I'm hoping guys can maybe share what their experience is and develop a body of aftermarket information!

Back