Bachmann EZ Command DCC

DakotaLove39

Always Improvising
I hadn't even heard of this system until I stumbled upon a youtube video from Bachmann about it.

While I don't have a permanent layout and I settle for roadbed track on the floor or other applicable space, I can't really justify buying the higher-end DCC stuff, for example, the Digitrax system.

Financially I can't really justify it either.

I've not gone looking for any reviews yet, this is more of a preliminary question, but for someone in my situation without a permanent layout and infrequent use of my trains, would the EZ Command system be a good starting point for a beginner like me? I understand that it's more or less a very simplified DCC system, and I'm seeing them going for less than $100 on eBay.

I see that the system also comes with a DCC-equipped loco, which also kinda sells it for me. I realize that Bachmann is more or less the Wal-mart brand in model railroading, but I can't be too picky when stuff like MTH and Overland are way out of my price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things that I would mention is that bachmann has more or less been making some pretty good equipment over the last few years and that hey, sometimes walmart brand is good stuff depending on what you buy. That being said, I have heard mixed reviews on the ez-command system. Many people have said it is a great entry set, and besides it is expandable. I plan on purchasing one for my current layout until I decide to make the leap into bigger and better things. I can get this system WITH a locomotive for $75 at my LHS!!! I have heard that bachmann decoders are not great, they burn out alot and such, but a decoder is, from my understanding, not exactly a hard swap and the ez-command unit works with all standard decoders from what I understand since it is NMRA compliant. I am not trying to sell you one way or the other; I think that the NCE powercab system (procab? not sure) is also on the lower end of purchase price and would make a good starter system for you. A little more cost, lots more features. Bachmann of course has the dynamis wireless system as well which is very feature rich and not too much more money from the right seller. The bottom line for me is I am going to buy the thing and if I don't like it, well, I tried. I would feel fairly comfortable though buying bachmann products. I have several and I really enjoy them.

I started with the ez command system a couple of years ago. It worked for me well for about a month. Then I realized I wanted more out of my stuff, so I went with a zephyr unit by digitrax. Now I've expanded to Individual boosters and DT402 controllers. So as a starter, the ez command works well. I just sold mine on ebay a couple months ago for 60 bucks.

I have an EZ command system and it works well for my small switching layout. I really won't need to upgrade the system until I build a larger layout. It really just depends how large of a system you're laying out, how many trains you intend to run at once, and how complex of controls those said locomotives require. For me and just starting out, the EZ command is a great way to go.

I went with the powercab (NCE brand), since it was fairly cheap. I bought one of of ebay that had been sitting around along time, but was still new. I think i paid 115.00 for it. I had allso looked at the bachman unit but i remembered all the times that i had bought cheap and then had to buy again to get what i would have really liked to start with.

So what I'm reading here is exactly what I was thinking. For very serious railroaders the EZ Command tends to be entry level DCC, and for others with small layouts and low numbers of locos it works just fine.

I have no intention of getting Bachmann decoders. Any decoder I install will be digitrax and no other. They have been around the longest, by my understanding.

Do any of you EZ Command owners run regular DC locos with it? The video detailed that this was possible but may involve some risk of damage to the DC motors and or DC circuit boards. I have a pair of old Bluebox Athearn engines which would be the most likely candidates to be running on DC power from the EZ command.

Better question is do you negate the risk if you plug in a Bachmann DC controller to the EZ command controller?

go to youtube, type in ez command, then look for 3 parts of the bachman ez command video. There is a seperate dc unit that can be plugged in the command unit, not real sure how they made this work.

There is a seperate dc unit that can be plugged in the command unit, not real sure how they made this work.
That could be done with a decoder. EZ command output to the decoder track leads, decoder motor leads to the track.
I've done this on a short track section to test a DC loco and decoder combination before trying to install the decoder.

I think I'll be going after the EZ command system. I know from a more professional standpoint the NCE powercab is better for a beginner, but since I don't have a permanent layout of any kind, I don't think that's the way for me to go.

I suppose I could modify or make a terminal/rerailer track for my roadbed track but I'm not very good with electrical. I also don't see much point investing even as much money as the power cab into my collection

The choice is yours Steve but the upgrade path for the Power Cab is really wide open. Bought a power cab in 06 and have not looked back although I do use both dcc and dc on the layout I think a dpdt ? switch. Found a power cab on ebay at a good price I might add. The only thing I found wrong with it was the six wire cable used the one from thew other power cab and she worked like a charm. A good place to start. Larry and the folks at NCE are great with ant help you may need. Again if the folks around you have ez mrc ,digitrax or nce that may help in your decision on which to buy. My freinds here in town both have digitraxx but my train guy in Colusa, Ca had nce when I started in dcc. Once you find your comfort zone with dcc there will be no stopping you . Good luck with whatever system you chose.

John

Ill add my .02... I was in your shoes not too long ago. I watched all the Bachmann videos thinking how cool and simple the EZ Command system seemed. After reading some reviews and further research I sprung for the NCE PowerCab and have no regrets. The selling points for me with the NCE system were its expandability; if you ever join a club, you have a ProCab hand held that can be used with any NCE DCC system; and you have all the programming features that you wouldn't get with the Bachmann system. All I have is a simple oval for around the tree at Christmas time and it works just fine. I do have plans to one day build a nice permanent layout and join a club which is why I thought I would make a good investment now which will allow me to expand in the future. I also looked at the Digitrax Zephyr, but the options you had with the NCE system, in my mind, were greater than with the Digitrax system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do yourself a favor too and look at TCS decoders. I love the ones I have and they have a simply outstanding warranty.

Back