Bachmann Decoder Question

Joe G

Posted this question on the locomotive thread, got no answers, hoping some of you DCC guys can anwer:

I bought a used Bachmann Spectrum SD45, that is DCC equipped, from a LHS. I would like to add sound and am looking for some advice. Should and could a separate sound device be added to this unit just by the addition of a card and speaker or should I install a new card which incorporates both DCC and sound.

Thanks
Joe :)

Typically, you'll be hard pressed to find the space for two individual boards - not impossible, just tougher, depending on scale. I'd probably just look to replace the built-in one with a Tsunami or QSI.

Typically, you'll be hard pressed to find the space for two individual boards - not impossible, just tougher, depending on scale. I'd probably just look to replace the built-in one with a Tsunami or QSI.

Thanks. Would replacing the stock Bachmann DCC board with a Tsunami be difficult?

Probably :)

Seriously, though, the board itself isn't the problem. Since you are DCC already, the motor is properly isolated. You'd simply unplug/unsolder the other decoder and replace it with the new one. The big problem, as it usually is, is where to put the speaker and which speaker to use. That's the time consuming part - again not necessarily hard, but annoying :)

Probably :)

Seriously, though, the board itself isn't the problem. Since you are DCC already, the motor is properly isolated. You'd simply unplug/unsolder the other decoder and replace it with the new one. The big problem, as it usually is, is where to put the speaker and which speaker to use. That's the time consuming part - again not necessarily hard, but annoying :)

Thanks, I will investigate a little further before attempting the swap.

Joe :)

Back