Bachmann DCC turnout doesn't work

BedroomDJ

Hello,

I have the Bachmann DCC turnout and don't know how to use it. There is a pushbutton somewhere on it. What's it for? Please help. Thank you.

Mikhail

There is a solenoid inside the metallic box below the frog that moves the points rails, the two rails that move. It needs power, but only momentary power if I recall correctly (it has been about 15 years for me). You need a separate power source to run that solenoid. Many use a wall wart that provides the correct ranges of both voltage and amps. I believe it might need AC, but again, it has been many years.

I hope you'll get more answers before long. But to answer directly, the push button works to move the points rails back and forth. Except, without your provision of the correct type of electrical power, nothing will happen.

All commercial switch solenoids will operate on either AC or DC power. DC works marginally better. Do not push and hold the actuating button.

Solenoid actuated turnouts require MOMENTARY power ONLY! If connected directly to a power source for more than a few seconds, the solenoid will burn out! In order to make the turnout points shift from one route to another, you need either two pushbuttons, one for each solenoid, or a single pole double throw (SPDT), center-off springloaded toggle switch. One wire from each solenoid can be connected to each other in common, but the other wires must go through the momentary contacts. When I can get them, I will use a two-position rotary switch mounted on my control panel on the diagram, with the pushbutton located next to it. The rotary will indicate what route the turnout is aligned to, and the button actuates the selected solenoid.
Hope this helps.

He said it was a DCC turnout. The button is for programming the address.

I figured it out once years ago and have never done it since so I don't remember. However, the googles found this link for programming with NCE. Other systems are probably similar.

Back