Bachmann Cityscape Hotel

Hello everyone

I recently discovered the Bachmann Cityscape kits and bought the Ambassador Hotel off eBay. In this thread I would like to share my experience building the kit.

hotel.jpg

The model looks quite attractive on the box cover, even in all its shiny plastic glory :)

11.JPG

My first step was to spray paint all the sandstone parts, shade them with a medium brown wash and finally highlight everything with a very light grey.

Since the building will be rather large, I made a wooden base of very thin four-layered plywood, which I salvalged from various furniture some time ago. That gave a nice and stable foundation for the building and the sidewalks. I made room in the back of the building for a small loading scene and other details.

The large doors facing the main staircase would allow a lot of light to enter the interior, so here I placed some tile paper from Scalescenes.

The sandstone windows on the first floor are rather large, so I decided to create a bit of interior decoration so the insides wouldn't appear as an empty shell. The left side of the hotel would house the restaurant, so I gave it a light wooden floor and scratchbuilt some tables and tablecloths. The wallpaper is also from Scalescenes and the door came from my bit box.

2.JPG

Since I model the 1930's I decided to cut open the gate on the left side of the photo, because it looked much too modern for my taste. But I wonder what the purpose of the gate is, since two loading docks are present on the back of the building? Perhaps it is a way of getting large amounts of luggage inside?

1.JPG

On the right side I made room for the lobby. I had run out of the printed floors from Scalescenes, so I just used a brush to imitate a wooden floor. It will be quite dark in there, so I hope it will look OK from the outside.

The furniture is made from wooden strips and balsa.

3.JPG

On the outer wall I placed some more decorations from Scalescenes to make the lobby look comfortable :)

4.JPG

The interior is very visible in the light, but I wonder how it will look once the upper floors are installed?

5.JPG

A simple counter to act as background for photos taken in front of the hotel.

6.JPG

It looks somewhat bare from the outside, but I hope it will suffice once the darkness descends upon the interior. :)

9.JPG

The two large back walls were a bit of challenge to glue, but it always helps using Scotch tape for keeping the corners together. In the backyard, there will be room for a small scene and lots of junk!

10.JPG

The result of three evenings worth of building, seen from above. I am really enjoying this kit :)

8.JPG

The restaurant now also has a waiter, chairs as well as a painting. I look very much forward to adding details to the sidewalks as well. I enjoy searching for period photos from Eastern cities for inspiration and the internet is literally filled with great inspiration.

Happy new years everyone!
- Benjamin

Hi Benjamin
Love your work, I to would like to build this kit so I will be watching your build with interest.
Keep up the great work.
Happy new year
Gary

Its a nice looking building, but I passed it up because I don't have room for it on my layout. Looks like you're off to a good start on it. Looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks Gary and Jim :)

I managed to sneak in some modelling time on this quiet day after New Years Eve. My little daughter, 20 months old, really likes to help me to build models. So far, she has taken part in the shading of the walls as well as shaking paint jars!

24.JPG

Some time ago I bought a lot of very thin oak wood that I intented to use on the edges of my dioramas. It didn't really work out the way I intented, so instead some of the nice wood could be used as floors for all the rooms in the hotel.

I also added a view block to the first floor, with two pieces of balsa painted in silver to play the part of elevator doors.

21.JPG

Before sealing off the restaurant I added a plant near the window and prepared two more for the balcony in front of the building.

23.JPG

After the first red-brick wall was in place, I began adding windows shades as suggested in the great article about this kit on the Gateway NMRA site. I use strips made out of a postcard.

22.JPG

Finally, in the back of the building, a yellow cat found a place to simultaneously sleep and keep an eye on the world :)

- Benjamin

Benjamin
Great work, one question though, I know you made the base but are the sidewalks part of the kit or are they add on.
(they look good)
Regards
Gary

Wow! That is really nice modeling there, some great touches you've added to the interior. I'm liking the tile part a lot. And all the color of the stone work and bricks coloring are spot on.

I have the same building very prominately in my city scape. Your work has me thinking about opening it up to put some interior detail in also. Nice work!

Hi Guy's

Thanks to Benjamin's great start to his bulid and report, my Ambassador Hotel has arrived from the States and I will be making a start very soon.

I was hesitant at first to purchase Bachmann kits but after seeing this thread it looks like it has great potential.

I only hope I can come close to Benjamin's standard.

All the best

Gary

Nice construction so far. You have some great modeling skills there. Looking forward to seeing it completed!

Tiger Oak floors on the second story, nice touch! Not sure if you're familiar with Tiger Oak, but you couldn't have picked a more PERFECT wood for the time period you're modeling.

I bought 2 of the kits, with the idea of bashing them into a model of Bethlehem Steel's old HQ in Bethlehem, PA. Keep those photos coming!

Thanks everyone!

>Creepy, I am glad to hear my build has inspired you. I would love to see images of your version of the great kit.

>elsner203, interesting about the Tiger Oak. Sometimes you are just lucky :)

It has been a while since I had time and interest to work on the kit, but now that the relaxed days of summer vacations are here, it is time to move on!

1.JPG

At each floor I added oak floors and a viewblocker to make the hotel seem lesss empty.

2.JPG

The glue made the thin oak warp quite a lot, but with the help of several paint jars, the warping was kept down. The floors will not be very visible from the outside, so there was no need to be too careful in the construction.

3.JPG

In order not to take too much light from the ground floor, I removed some of the depth of the balcony on the first floor. Instead I added some potted plants and a gentleman looking onto the street. The figure comes from Preiser, which has several sets of early 20th century Europeans. Many of these figures, especially the men, fit right in to a 1930's eastern US setting IMO.

5.JPG

At the top floor I placed another Preiser figure, again looking at the street. Perhaps she is a member of staff?

6.JPG

A young guest is leaning out of his window. My plan for the building is later to add a scene in fromt of it, perhaps a new and expensive car arriving with a distinctive motor noise loud enough to make a lot of people look out their windows.

7.JPG

The awnings originally came in dark red plastic, but I painted them a base sand color and drybrushed white vertically on top, giving them a bit of texture and hopefully simulating dirt and soot running down the awnings.

11.JPG

I have added most of the roof details, but the roof still seems a bit too clean for my taste. I wonder if small weeds would grow in the corners of a roof like this? Or perhaps I should just add some more dirt, old newspapers etc?

10.JPG

My favorite part of the roof is the staircase exit. The bricks came in a medium brown color, which I gave a sandcolored wash to simulate the mortar. After that I drybrushed dark brown on top, which I normally do, but also some black for the first. That really makes the bricks visually different, and I am definately going to do that much more!

11.JPG

Originally there was no entrance to the ledge on the top floor, but I converted on of the windows into a door. I added some old chairs, most likely brought out by members of staff, so they can eat their lunch in the sun! More details are needed here, like some more mess, a box for table, plants, a soda crate etc. Ideas are more than welcome :)

8.JPG

The fire escape was fun and easy to build and now just needs some rust and the bottom ladder. Perhaps another ladder leading to the top floor?

I am still very much in doubt about the back yard. Should it be covered in asphalt or could it be cobblestone? I imagine the hotel is standing in New York or another large Eastern city and was build in the first or second decade of the 20th century.

And how about a loading ramp? Is it needed? And should it be concrete, or perhaps wood? Help! :)

I love this part of the building process, adding details and creating stories about what is going on around the building. The next step after the yard will be adding decals, more junk and more weathering before I move on to a new building next to this one...

Thanks everyone!

>Creepy, I am glad to hear my build has inspired you. I would love to see images of your version of the great kit.

>elsner203, interesting about the Tiger Oak. Sometimes you are just lucky :)

Some bad news: I have been trying to post more images on this thread for days now, but the strict spam-protection on this forum eats my post every time. The moderators doesn't seem to be able to help. so I have given up posting here, for which I am sorry due to the great responses.

Instead I will post more about the build on the forum The Whistle Post. The thread can be seen here: http://www.thewhistlepost.com/forums/ho-scale/16144-building-bachman-city-scene-hotel.html

I hope to see you there :)

Back