Bachmann 3 truck shay

NickB

Wannabe Engineer
I recently picked up a used 3 truck shay, in really great shape. I was told that it is DCC ready, Does anyone know how to get into the tendor where the DCC plug is so I can install a decoder? Thanks
Nick

I know HMinky put one in a Mogul tender a while back tight squeeze but that was a Tsunami and two speekers, not sure about the shay though i would assume it's a very tight fit

Ah,, just spoke in detail to a friend who's got an N scale model, that is a tough one to do, some Austrian supplier makes a decoder that fit's in the cab, it's supposed to be a tiny little thing but it comes with a whopping price tag

OK I went and dug out my box for mine and low and behold the instructions are in there. The exploded view shows a screw between the wiring harnesses on the underside just in front of the third truck. That screw should thread into the top half of the tender and it appears that if you take it off the shell comes off. I didnt take mine apart however from looking at it and the instructions that should work.

Thanks for the information. I'll give it a whirl after I get some stuff done tonight.

Back