Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidated w/DCC and Sound

TOSSpilot

I am new and recently purchased my supplies to start a new layout with my son. I was researching locomotives and wanted something in steam.

After much research, I came across the Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation w/DCC and sound (BAC84501). The list is $275 and the internet pricing was around $170 - $225. But, I found this item at wholesaletrains for $137. The price was great and I ordered it, but I am wondering if I am missing something? It seams that the price is much lower than other internet sites?

Also, will I have any trouble with this model? Do I need to do some modifications to make it perform?

Thank you for the feedback.

Craig.

Hello. If there is one locomotive that gets positive reviews fairly consistently across model railroad fora, it is this locomotive. It is a gem, although every so often someone reports a fault. No matter, Bachmann, like the other major manufacturers, and virtually all minor ones, will back their products.

Trainworld and other discounters had those locos, last time I looked, for about $99, or something along those lines...can't quite recall the exact price. In any event, to get an installed sound package for the price you quote is darned good....if it all turns out to be on the up-and-up. If the source is reliable, you have just finessed yourself a really good deal, and should look forward to many months of happy use.

You are welcome, although you may wish to hold off in case some others report with contrary views in sufficient numbers to warrant reconsideration.

And, if you don't mind the correction, I forgot to mention in my last post that the correct name for the 2-8-0 arrangement is "Consolidation".

Craig, I agree with Selector. I bought my Bachmann 2-8-0 without sound and installed a Tsunami decoder in it. It has been a great performer all the way and is darn good looking. Even with me having 3 giant articulates, I love to proudly run my Consolidation down the rails just as much.;)

I haven't done business with Wholesaletrains, but the price is good and it shouldn't give you a cause for worry. I have saved hundreds of dollars buying at big discounts from the web stores. You never want to pay retail for the big items unless it is one of those 'chance of a lifetime' deals.:)

Craig,

I love this engine. So much in fact I own 2 of them! Couple the little tyke behind the Rivorossi 4 car 60' heavyweight set and you have about the coolest local around.

My first one did not have sound, so I purchased a Tsunami and speaker all told about 185 for it an parts. Then the ones with sound came out. I sold the original pile of parts and bought a stock one with sound for $149. My second unit was 157 or something.

I think you did good!
Course, this is just my 2 cents on the matter!

Joe Daddy

I finally received the locomotive yesterday and I was able to start it up on a few pieces of track (I am in the middle of builiding my layout). But, I have a few questions?

The speaker has a problem with the continous whistle. It starts doing that funny sound that you get when you turn a cheap stereo up to loud. Do you need to reduce the volume when you first receive the item? Or, do you need to modify the speaker box? Or return the item? All other sounds, including the short whistle are fine.

Also, there is shrink tubing that is unshrunk on the wires to the tender? What is the purpose or was it suppose to be shrunk at the factory? Do you have to do something to keep the wire from dragging on the ties?

The model came with a plastic pouch of black coal/dirt? Are you suppose to put this on the fake tender coal? Seems that this would be messy.

Otherwise, as a newbie, I like the detail and the sound effects are good. The sound really adds to the entertainment value.

Thank you,

Craig

I have one of these, but I haven't done much with it except test it out on the test track.

I would try to turn down the volume first. See if that helps. If it's still bad, try those other sounds again. If it's bad all around, could be the speaker is damaged, or maybe a wire is touching the cone and causing problems. You shouldn't have to modify the speaker enclosure. If there is a continual problem, you might have to return it.

As far as the dragging wires, I noticed that, but I think I just tried to cram them back into the tender as best I could.

Coal dust, I saw the pouch. Did not do anything with it. Coal is somewhat shiney, you're better off painting the fake coal with a glossy acrylic finish.

Kennedy

Back