Bachman Gas Electric HO

milaus

Bachman Spectrum Gas Electric HO scale. Any comments on these units? I am looking at purchasing a pair. I believe there was a review a little while ago, but not sure if it was in Model Railroader, Model Railroad Craftsman or the NMRA Magazine.

I have had one for years. The detail is great on it. The only thing I can say bad about it is that it is a little bit noisy. Low speed performance is good due to the gearing. I have no problem with it pulling another trailer coach up a 3 percent grade. It's not a bad model.

Bachman Spectrum Gas Electric HO scale. Any comments on these units? I am looking at purchasing a pair. I believe there was a review a little while ago, but not sure if it was in Model Railroader, Model Railroad Craftsman or the NMRA Magazine.

It's "Railroad Model Craftsman" (AKA RMC) not Model Railroad Craftsman. Had a Bachmann "Doodlebug" w/ a cracked gear in the drive truck. Replaced it w/ an axle & gear set from North West Shortline:
http://www.nwsl.com/NWSL_Online_Catalog.html
You can always email &/or call them if you have any problems finding exactly what you need. Since coming under new ownership they've been redoing their website.

Here's a link on how to add sound to a doodlebug:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33117

Oops! I knew that. My apologies to RMC as well. Sometimes the brain, eyes and typing are just not in sync. I posted this with the current issue of Railroad Model Craftsman right next to me on my desk.

The only real qualms I have with the model regard its application on the typical layout. As designed, having a control station at only one end of the car and especially when used with a trailer car, it represents the type of gas-electric that was generally not employed in classic, short-line, bi-directional service, which would be the most logical application for a doodlebug on the average layout. The Bachmann car represents a less common design used by several of the larger railroads to handle minimal passenger service over longer hauls and is somewhat similar in nature to the Santa Fe's M-190, as well. Such cars are quite different from what most hobbyists visualize as a classic gas-electric in their use.

A decade, or so, ago Walthers did offer a somewhat smaller (60'), but more representative of a bi-directional gas-electric car, that was much more applicable to average layout use. Unfortunately, its drive system was poor and one rarely sees examples these days.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/press/2002/emc60

NYW&B

Last edited by a moderator:
The only real qualms I have with the model regard its application on the typical layout. As designed, having a control station at only one end of the car and especially when used with a trailer car, it represents the type of gas-electric that was generally not employed in classic, short-line, bi-directional service, which would be the most logical application for a doodlebug on the average layout. The Bachmann car represents a less common design used by several of the larger railroads to handle minimal passenger service over longer hauls and is somewhat similar in nature to the Santa Fe's M-190, as well. Such cars are quite different from what most hobbyists visualize as a classic gas-electric in their use.

Most if not all Santa Fe doodlebugs had a control station at only one end because where they were used had turning facilities at the ends. So any Santa Fe modeler who wants to run a doodlebug has to have someway to turn it - even if it's 0-5-0 LOL.

Most if not all Santa Fe doodlebugs had a control station at only one end because where they were used had turning facilities at the ends. So any Santa Fe modeler who wants to run a doodlebug has to have someway to turn it - even if it's 0-5-0 LOL.

Exactly! And this was in contrast to the general practice of the shortlines that far more typically employed gas-electric doodlebugs. There, when they reached the end of their run the engineer would walk to the opposite end of the car and take over operation of the unit from the second control station for the return trip with the car essentially running backwards.

NYW&B

Back