Bachman 4-8-4 vs. Prototype

I just ran into a passenger set at a Christmas thing (not sure what was going on. I just saw trains so I went to check them out). Some had a rack with several passenger sets from all eras sitting on it. He had a Sunset Limited set from what appeared to be the twenties-thirties. I was wondering 2 things.

1) I thought the Sunset Limited was pulled by a GS-1 originally and that the engine at least bore the Daylight color scheme.

2) The engine looked like a GS-4 with a mars light and a headlight. It was also numbered 4406. I believe that this should actually be a GS-1. It was also wearing its black warbonnet. Shouldn't this engine bear the Daylight color scheme? I didn't think this class was flat black except for during WWII.

Just wondering how far off this engine is from the engine that would match the real sunset limited. I'm not saying its a bad model. I was just curious about the real deal and having a little trouble telling from internet research.

I just ran into a passenger set at a Christmas thing (not sure what was going on. I just saw trains so I went to check them out). Some had a rack with several passenger sets from all eras sitting on it. He had a Sunset Limited set from what appeared to be the twenties-thirties. I was wondering 2 things.

1) I thought the Sunset Limited was pulled by a GS-1 originally and that the engine at least bore the Daylight color scheme.

2) The engine looked like a GS-4 with a mars light and a headlight. It was also numbered 4406. I believe that this should actually be a GS-1. It was also wearing its black warbonnet. Shouldn't this engine bear the Daylight color scheme? I didn't think this class was flat black except for during WWII.

Just wondering how far off this engine is from the engine that would match the real sunset limited. I'm not saying its a bad model. I was just curious about the real deal and having a little trouble telling from internet research.
The locomotive should be a Baldwin GS1, but is really a Lima GS4. As long as you don't mind that it's a foobie, they are not bad locomotives as far as running and looks.

Not my engine I was describing, but I have a Daylight, NYC, and NW J built on the same frame. 2 out of 3 of them have shot axles, so the third one doesn't come out of the round house very often. I have tried everything I could come up with to rebuild the axles short of machining new ones, and no luck. Any way anyone knows of doing that?

Not my engine I was describing, but I have a Daylight, NYC, and NW J built on the same frame. 2 out of 3 of them have shot axles, so the third one doesn't come out of the round house very often. I have tried everything I could come up with to rebuild the axles short of machining new ones, and no luck. Any way anyone knows of doing that?
Yes. Bowser makes a retro frame for them. You use your shell and some other components, and the new Bowser mechanism. You then have a locomotive that looks pretty good, and runs reliably.

The GS 1's never appeared in Daylight paint, and in the 20's and 30's the equipment would have been heavyweights. GS-4s did pull the train on the final leg of it's run (El Paso to LA) and they would have been painted in Daylight colors.

There are plastic and diecast GS-4s available. The GS-1 has only been done in brass. Hope this helps.

Back