Bach. Spectrum 8-40C noise question

dekker

I purchased a new spectrum 8-40c about 2 months ago. It has been a great running and very low noise loco. Anyway I was gone for about a week and I came home the other night, started to use this loco and it makes a loud grinding noise in the front truck(under cab)all of a sudden. It was not moved from it's spot while I was gone. It is clean and has been lubed properly. I have taken it apart and I can not find what is causing this noise. The gears are tight, no chips in the gears, no debri in any of the mechanism's. Anyone have any idea what this may be? I have 2 others and they run just a smooth as can be. Thanks!

Sounds like it might be a cracked gear. Call Bachmann and describe the problem to them. They have a lifetime warranty so they can either give you some things to look for or they will replace the locomotive.

typicall bachman, send it back, u'll get a new one in a year or two

Not true, Bachmann has been very prompt when I've sent items back for repair or replacement. Most of my Bachmann engines have been trouble-free and have needed repair. Whatever your heartburn has been with Bachmann, don't assume that it's typical for the entire company.

I had a problem with a Spectrum H16. They asked me what the problem happened to be and sent me a new engine, and I got to keep the old one. They said that it wasn't worth the return shipping. A buddy of mine had fixed his H16 and fixed my afflicted engine. Now, I have two. I'm happy. And they, somehow, have different road numbers to appease the rivet counters out there.

I don't know what was wrong with the first one, but it sure runs good now. And my buddy, being true to his form, won't tell me what he did. Job security, he says. I think he just likes the better half's oatmeal raisin cookies. Since that was all the pay he would take.

I'd say, like Athearn, Bachmann is pretty good in the Customer Service department. I have no complaints.

Bob

loco

Thanks for the info. I called Bachmann thismorning and I am pretty much out of luck. I do not have the receipt for the loco so I was told that it would be a 20.00 fee to look at the loco plus parts plus shipping. I only paid 25.00 for the loco to start with so I am going to post on the wanted area and see if someone may have the front truck I need. Thanks again.

Back