Auto distribution layouts

Lets see some autoracks yard segments for those that have modeled them. I'm planning on doing a yard with several autoracks and a walthers distribution facility.

Just a few days back I saw some prototype shots of a yard, I thought on here, but now I can't find them. One thing for sure, you'll have to stock up on vehicles, most lots have many of the same kind only many different colors.

I once worked at an auto plant, You will need lots of real-estate and lots of cars like Bill said. But not lots of colors they would be in groups of anywhere from ten to fifty of same color I know photos can be used in back drop but to look real you need all the same vehicle and the same in the backdrop as the scale ones on the layout. That is to look prototypical. Post some pics when finished.

Just a few days back I saw some prototype shots of a yard, I thought on here, but now I can't find them. One thing for sure, you'll have to stock up on vehicles, most lots have many of the same kind only many different colors.

You could probably make your own molds and crank out a couple hundred of one car type, then paint them. It would certainly be cheaper than buying them at five to ten dollars a pop :)

As for pictures, I like satellite images, and use Google Maps to browse them.

These two are right across the river from each other.
Vancouver, WA
Portland, OR

I'm sure you can find more of the same in all the big cities along the west coast, bringing in Asian cars. And the major ports on the east coast bringing in all the European cars.

But I don't know how much fun it would be to model. It's a big flat parking lot with a couple sets of track.

All I know is that I really wish Walthers would re-release the ramps. I dont understand how such a simple model isnt produced. Doesnt seem that hard to kitbash though. One day.

And when that day is done, I am sure walthers will re-release it.

Back