ATSF 999721 HO Caboose

gjslsffan

This RTR AThearn ATSF caboose has been sitting on top of a display case for years and I decided it was time to get rid of it or do something with it.
I ran across some pictures of a shoving platform (BNSF dont call them cabooses anymore, as the doors are usually welded shut) that is used in the Denver area, I made decals and put them on the sides, made some more up for the ends weathered it up as close as I could to match the pics.
I encourage people to bring their own power and caboose to op sessions here. My good friend Brian (ATSF afficionado) never brings a caboose for his trains, now I have one to add to his trains. I didnt add any detail parts as I fear Brian will try to run it over with his car if I am not watching him close.

DSCN0709.jpg DSCN0710.jpg DSCN0713.jpg DSCN0717.jpg
I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking pretty good, Tom. A comment though, not a criticism, here in Texas Santa Fe removed the smokejack when they converted them. Your picture may show otherwise. While I don't approve of graffiti as such, I do add it to many of my cars like you have, although not as heavy as I model in the 80's when it wasn't so prevalent.
Willie

No worries I am surprised the smoke jack was still on this one too. We here in GJ still have BN exSLSF cab in the Parachute yard. Intact and functional including the doors and inside. I rode many shoves on it while working the brakeman's job on the road switcher here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice3 work. Looks really good. Glad that I model the transition era, not as many vandals. Saves me a lot of work. laugh.gif

Glad to see that you were able to get on. Cracks me up that someone painted his name on the end!
All this thing needs is a "killroy" on it, but I imagine that the artists' today do not know of him?

Thanks Sherrel and everyone.
A question.
Is the site limited to 4 image uploads?
Or is that what everyone starts with?
Thanks
Tom.

Nice work, Tom. I just have to pretend that my railroad police are super-competent and nobody ever vandalizes any of my rolling stock :D

And yes, there is a four image per post limit. You can, however, make multiple posts in the same thread to include more images if need be.

Wow great job, if it weren't for the two pics with it off the rails I'd have a hard time knowing it was a model!
Funny they'd weld the doors but I guess it's less liability. I'm sure the crew would love to get inside on a cool fall morning!

One of few forums where I can say "Nice caboose!" without people thinking I'm a total pervert. Very nice work, gjslsffan!

Mitch

Thank You Mike, Rico, Mitch and KB02.
I appreciate the comments very much.
KB02 I make the decals on my old ALPS printer, this is first time I have ever made a decal for a whole side of a car LOL. I use it cause it prints white, which is very useful for MRR stuff. I was lucky and ran across one 15 years ago and keep nursing it along.

Thank You Mike, Rico, Mitch and KB02.
I appreciate the comments very much.
KB02 I make the decals on my old ALPS printer, this is first time I have ever made a decal for a whole side of a car LOL. I use it cause it prints white, which is very useful for MRR stuff. I was lucky and ran across one 15 years ago and keep nursing it along.

TOM- How is your supply of white ink holding up? I have heard that the ink is in short supply?

TOM- How is your supply of white ink holding up? I have heard that the ink is in short supply?

Sherrel,
Yea they are getting more and more difficult to come by, best place I have found is overseas. Getting expensive too. That's why I don't to decals for other folks anymore.
Trick is not to have more ink than the printer will last.....

Don't know about the BNSF or the BN...the C.B.&Q. called them "way cars". IMHO a freight train without a way car, caboose, shanty, etc., is...agin the laws of nature! ;)

Don't know about the BNSF or the BN...the C.B.&Q. called them "way cars". IMHO a freight train without a way car, caboose, shanty, etc., is...agin the laws of nature! ;)

It was on the news program years ago "A train with out a caboose, is like a sentence with out a period" :D:)

Back