Atlas turntable

anubis

Hi guys,

I have just purchased an Atlas #305 HO turntable, and after mounting the motor drive unit to it, I find that it works fine and is fairly quiet in clockwise rotation, but if I try to reverse it to anti clockwise, it still works OK but the chattering noise is unacceptable.

The motor unit runs quietly and freely in both directions when disconnected from the turntable, so I can only assume that the problem lies in the meshing of the worm drive gear and the large nylon driven gear.

Has anyone had any similar problems with this unit, or is it just that it is intended to be operated clockwise only?

Thanks, all.

The cure is surely to be trials of different shims and extents of shimming, including in different orientations. I think you are right...it is a meshing problem, but it may be due to the pivot and bearing not riding in their receptacle properly? I'm just guessing that it has this engineering...otherwise, how to they keep the unit stable?

Try thin cardstock, or cardboard from cereal boxes. Insert one here, two there. But first I'd go back over the bridge and its pivot or support and find out why it is not staying true around its pivot axis.

I suppose the large gear could be out of round, too. Easy to test it.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Back