Atlas Truck Help...Please?

siderod

Color me frustrated. I have taken so many Athearn and P2K trucks apart I can do them blindfolded. Enter an Atlas RS1 Classic just purchased and in dire need of a lube. I got the side frames off no problem but now comes the tiny clips to remove the bottom cover on the truck. Using a miniature jewelers screwdriver I can pry one clip up to clear the molded on locking nub and have tried to gently lift but the cover won't release. Is there a trick or a certain procedure to removing these covers? Heaven knows the last thing I want to do is break one! I should probably note that I'm attempting to do this while the trucks are still mounted on the frame so I guess that begs the question, do I first have to remove the truck?

The frustration really comes from the feeling that I should be able to figure this out myself. Then age kicks in and reminds me of all the things I've broken in the past because I was too proud to ask someone with experience how to do it. See ya later pride.

Any suggestions, thoughts, criticism and/or pity would be more than welcome and muchly appreciated.

Use 2 X-acto knives, #11 blades. Get one under one clip until it pops, then use the other to do the other side. do the same for the back 2 clips.

You don't have to remove the trucks from the frame. I usually can do the job with two jeweler's screwdrivers, I pry one tab off, leave that screwdriver in place, then pry the opposite one off. Once the two are freed you can usually pop the cover off easily. If you want to be extra careful do one tab at a time and put a toothpick in place to hold the tab free.

On some Atlas locos it's best to remove the cover before removing the sideframes. The mounting lugs on the sideframe latch to the cover, and if one pries the sideframe too hard you could break the lugs off.

You are the man Jerome! The two #11 blades worked like a champ. Seems like Athearn and P2K are easier but it may just seem that way because I've done so many of them. Thanks for for the help. Hopefully I can return the favor someday...

That's good info too, Brakeman. When I was trying to do it with a jeweler's screwdriver I was only trying to lift off that side before going to the other side. Wouldn't work. I like the idea of using a toothpick to keep the parts seperated. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. Just now starting to get into Atlas locomotives. Seems like they build a pretty good model. I like what I see, at least so far.

No problem, any questions just ask away. I worked for Atlas back in the 90s (pre-China) and did repairs as well as some other duties. And now as a custom painter I'm constantly taking these things apart, and always try to pass on things that would otherwise be learned the hard way!

You are the man Jerome! The two #11 blades worked like a champ. Seems like Athearn and P2K are easier but it may just seem that way because I've done so many of them. Thanks for for the help. Hopefully I can return the favor someday...

I too just started collecting the higher end Atlas engines. So I was in your shoes last year. The 2 X-acto knives it what works best for me. ;)

I too just started collecting the higher end Atlas engines. So I was in your shoes last year. The 2 X-acto knives it what works best for me. ;)
Now that I've been inside the Atlas and had a chance to look around under the hood, it appears to me that Atlas might have a little bit better design than P2K and Athearn Genesis, mechnically speaking. It's hard, in my estimation, to beat a Kato for smoothness but the Atlas's I already have run a mighty close second.

It seems that either the x-acto knives or the jeweler's screwdrivers will get the job done. It's as you say, which ever one works best for you.:D

No problem, any questions just ask away. I worked for Atlas back in the 90s (pre-China) and did repairs as well as some other duties. And now as a custom painter I'm constantly taking these things apart, and always try to pass on things that would otherwise be learned the hard way!
Ahhhh, you are from back in the Atlas/Kato days. I've still got some of those gems and they are great runners, just glide down the track with only a whisper of a purrr. Kind of sad to see them starting to dry up and become harder to find.

Thanks again for the reply and for the offer for future questions. It's always comforting to know you have a "factory guy' behind you. Don't know if it would ever be an issue but if you do anything with P2K's and run into a problem, fire away. I've repaired and rebuilt more of those things than I care to remember:eek:.

Back