Atlas Silver series Locos

Stadawim

Hey all. First post here regarding actual mrailroading.

And it's a question - I really didn't want it to be this way. Was hoping to contribute first!

Anyway, any one here have any of these? Got any experience with 'em? Got my first one this past weekend at TrainFest and was wondering about the parts. It doesn't have many additionals; very few in fact. But they are interesting... Firstly you disengage the loco from the packaging via 2 screws on the base into the fuel tank. I noticed upon removing the packaging that it leaves the fuel tank a little loose without anything in the holes. However, the screws used to hold down the loco are too large to go back into the tank to hold it. And they're pan heads not recessed head so they stick out too far once in the holes (highly visible in profile view, but probably rest in between the tracks when driving). Now, of the 5 pieces that came with the loco, two seem to be plastic pins that could be used instead of these screws - they seem to be of the same size and are black, the proper color for lower sections of this loco. But they're having problems fitting in. Even after I have sprued and filed down the edges to ease them in. Lube and push? Or are these even not the tacks that are supposed to go in there? Granted, the fuel tank is only 'loose' - it still rides on the loco fine actually, so it's not like it's totally needed. But I do wonder what they are for.

There's a couple other pieces, but I think I should find that out on my own.

I think.

Did you get any documentation with the loco? Usually there is an exploded view diagram showing all the parts and there relationship. If not there'll be a PDF on the Atlas website for your engine somewhere. What engine is it?

And don't be ashamed about asking questions, as one of our members has said and oft repeated, "The only foolish question is the one not asked".

Yeah. I read through the exploded diagram that came with. And went to Atlas' website and saw - the exact same view! - their manual. That's like the main reason I joined up; I gotta figure this out. It's not so much that all will be wrong, it's just that I won't feel right until all the parts come together.

It's a CRI&P r#3001 GP40.

You just get it printed out for you:). What you've got to do with those "plans" is, when you're tying to work out what goes where and what might hold this to that, is try and locate the screws or other "fixings" and draw an imaginary line (or by pencil) from the end of the securing device to where it might actually be when all those blown apart bits are actually together. They can be an inch or more away on the drawing.

Yeah no, that ain't workin. The diagram shows two screws, but they are the ones for the motor mount under the tank cover. And I really ain't got another spot for the screws anyway. I feel those black plastic tacks have to be what goes in there...

Addendum: the diagram actually shows no holes for screws at all in the fuel tank. Weird. But not unheard of. This is really confusing. Like, if ANY of the parts fit, this wouldn't be a problem. Do I really need to get other screws?

What are the models? Most are different, and telling us what you have will help us help you.

I don't think any of my Atlas Silver's came that way but my Athearn Genesis locos did.
Sorry no help from me I guess.

Double sided tape, eh? Prolly not a bad idea there. Still... It is kinda frustrating to get one like this, ya know? I'd give better than 3:1 odds that those plastic tacks are what supposed to go in those holes, but they are just too large to fit in there. I re-examined the package too to make sure i didn't miss any additional pieces. I didn't. They packed good. Ah, well. Should prolly just move past this and get it rollin.

I was looking through MR mag at the club tonight, November's issue, and there was a review on a new release Atlas GP38. It said there that the fuel tank is clip on and to be careful of the fuel fillers/pipes when removing it.

Well, it runs fine. The tank don't drop. I prolly am just gonna leave it alone. They are such delicate machines. I may try to measure up the screws and see if i can some downsized variants. If not, i may try to bore out the plastic tacks it came with in an effort to get them in there. Other than that... I have one other option; there is another Silver i'd like to get. So i could foreseeably wait until i get that one and compare the two to see how and what those screws and tacks look like.

bnsf, what did you mean by model? I was confused - i had thought i gave all pertinent info already?

Model, as in , what sort of loco is it a model of e.g. SD40, GP38-2 or maybe if a steamer. They do vary in the way they are put together sometimes, even within the same brand and product line.

Oh yeah. I had that there in my 2nd post - CRI&P GP40. And i noticed that! Subtle nuances in similar products. Makes 'em like fascinating puzzles.

Oh yeah. I had that there in my 2nd post - CRI&P GP40. And i noticed that! Subtle nuances in similar products. Makes 'em like fascinating puzzles.

You did too, had to go back for a look. I think why both Terry and I missed it, it was where people put their signature and the info got overlooked.

I dun'no about the fascinating puzzle, usually becomes "Now they put that screw there on that other one, why the #@&% isn't it here on this one.

THAT's what I needed to know. I went to my shelf, and looked at the ones I have. Both have the fuel tanks secured with double-sided tape. Yours may have slipped out of the factory without any.

Back