Atlas Shay

diablo

Brian Heap
I've asked a few people how the shay ran, and I got mixed reports, but yesterday I finally got to see one run at the club layout, and WOW!!!! What a jewel Atlas made. It ran great, the guy bought it at a swapmeet, used, and it ran better than it looked. Now I gotta get one.
Has anyone else out there had any experience with the shay? This one blew the reports I had all to heck. Now to sell the house so I can afford one or two.:D:D:D:D

Mine runs at a scale .37 (that's right) mph on Kato Unitrack. Smooth as silk. I hesitate to fit a decoder into it for fear of ruining this incredible performance.

The first run had driveshaft problems. I haven't seen the new run yet. They are nice looking engines.

I've asked a few people how the shay ran, and I got mixed reports, but yesterday I finally got to see one run at the club layout, and WOW!!!! What a jewel Atlas made. It ran great, the guy bought it at a swapmeet, used, and it ran better than it looked. Now I gotta get one.
Has anyone else out there had any experience with the shay? This one blew the reports I had all to heck. Now to sell the house so I can afford one or two.:D:D:D:D

The two I have run really great... I have not had any performance issues with them. Both start and run smoothly... I have the first run series. I'm pleased with them. :) Bob

Thanks Mr. Coltspguy, that reaffirms my commitment to get at least one for my own road. I was just overwhelmed by the one I finally got to see run. i only wish he had ran it around the layout instead of a couple of trips back and forth in the yard. I am building up a set of log cars for my own logging operation for which the shay will do the work.

Thanks Mr. Coltspguy, that reaffirms my commitment to get at least one for my own road. I was just overwhelmed by the one I finally got to see run. i only wish he had ran it around the layout instead of a couple of trips back and forth in the yard. I am building up a set of log cars for my own logging operation for which the shay will do the work.

Hi Diablo,

Here is a photo of Verdi Lumber Company Shay numbers 9 and 10 for your viewing pleasure... The Shays are delivering a load of milled lumber to Kent's Lumber and Building Supply (seen in the background) in Fernley Nevada ... The wooden water tank behind the Shay was build by my wife as a present. The second photo shows SP switcher number 96 tied up at the service track near the Nevada Cement Aggregrate plant near the junction in Fernley ... Backdrop is from photos of the hills surrounding Fernley NV...

The N Scale Shays operate well for me...
Bob

IMG_0439-1.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man, sure appreciate the photo;s. I sure appreciate the good comments on running qualities to. Can't wait to own one of these little gems.

Back