Atlas or Bachmann Alco Switcher?

I heard recently there was big todo about Bachmans being crap some years ago but have since turned things around. ...
E.

I'll do my best to tell the story. Some facts may be slightly off and if so, I apologize. This is from my memory, which isn't that good at times.

Bachmann has had a reputation of the quality going up and down. It used to be a German company but was bought by Kader, IIRC, in the earlier '70s. They even made some locomotives for AHM, which were FT's and supplied the mechanisms for two brass diesels imported by Gem, a F-unit and a GP-40. These were good solid mechanisms, with a good heavy chassis, 8-wheel drive, (no flywheels). Rather than to continue with this style of mechanisms, they started supplying three pole "pancake" motors, where the loco frame became part of the motor. While these motors were robust for their size, it meant that the diesels became 4 wheel drive, with 4 wheel pickup. All of the detail was cast on and depending on the model, could be shallow. Their steamers had solid metal wheels on each side, for pickup to the split frame, but the drivers were connected by nylon inserts. These developed a nasty habit of cracking, even if the model was never taken out of the box. This meant that the drivers got out of quarter at the best, and fell off of the loco at the worse.

This, along with the similar Tyco stuff, gave Bachmann the reputation of being a 40 hr toy, and not a "real" model.

IIRC starting in the mid '80s, they started trying to improve their mechanisms by making the chassis heavier, and installing a real 3, (maybe 5), pole motor and a "semi" flywheel, that was also the gear connecting the motor to the mechanism, but on the steamers at least, kept those solid metal wheelsets connected by those lousy nylon axles that still had a cracking problem. These were the Bachmann Plus models. Some of the detail became separate castings, but not much. Their diesels benefited most from the upgrade as they went back to 8 wheel drives, flywheels, in some engines, and some free standing detail. Even with these improvements, many still complained about the models still being basically junk, esp. the steamers.

Then in the early '90s, Bachmann released their first model in the "Spectrum" series. This was a 2-8-0 based on an Illinois Central prototype, and had everything that is expected in a top quality model. All wheel pickup, flywheels, metal axles, can type motors, and separately applied detail. Bachmann had a real hit, and started bringing more engines out in their "Spectrum" line. Most of which were of the same high quality, although there were some "teething pains" with a couple of diesels. The engines were improved and have gotten much better. They made improvements in their entire line, to the point that their first Spectrums, are now part of their "Standard" line.

Anyway they have made such a complete turnaround in their quality, that IMHO, for the money, they are very, very, good models and I have no problems recommending them to anyone.

I can't speak for the Bachmann S-2 because I don't have one, but in reading the posts, the Atlas, which is an excellent running locomotive apparently weighs more than the Bachmann.

They have improved since the 70's and 80's. After some bad experiences with their N scale equipment in the 70's, I would never consider a Bachmann locomotive intil they brought out their Spectrum line. I did get one of their consolidations (I only operate in DC) and waspleasantly suprised at how well it opearted. Extremely smooth. I have a few brass consolidations and it runs as well as the brass. I was disappointed with their decapod. On a 2 percent grade it struggles with 5 cars in tow. It has been prlagated to being a yard switcher. Their little 45 ton switcher is another excellent running locomotive. Due to its size, it also works the yards. Their 3 truck shay is another excellent running locomotive, but I have hears of many problems with the bevel gears breaking on them, but NWSL does offer metal replacements. If my gears break, I will get the replacements. I also picked up a C&O 2-6-6-2. Don't really know why, but for $125 it was one of those thing that you just couldn't pass up. This also was an extremely good performer. The slow speed control is excellent. I'll have to say that I am very pleasantly suprised at the improvements that Bachmann has made with their Spectrum line.

I still haven't touched a Bachmann freight car, but I really have enough (or possibly a little more than enough) rolling stock than I really need. Most are older Athearn kits from the late 70's and early 80's with soem Walthers and Intermountain cars, and a few Kadee cars. Don't know if I'll ever get one from Bachmann.

I still haven't touched a Bachmann freight car, but I really have enough (or possibly a little more than enough) rolling stock than I really need. Most are older Athearn kits from the late 70's and early 80's with soem Walthers and Intermountain cars, and a few Kadee cars. Don't know if I'll ever get one from Bachmann.

I know what you mean Chet! On my operations program, I have listed in it twice as many cars as the layout can realistically support. That doesn't take into consideration the fact that I have at least 30 more kits, most are craftsman type, or resin type kits to build or finish.

At times I feel like that old cartoon in John Armstrong's book. The guy is bent over his workbench, bleary eyed, and is driving a small nail into the top of the car he's building, with an over sized hammer. IIRC the caption read something like "There he is, no more room on the layout to even place a car, but he is still cranking out kits!"

I have an Atlas s-2 and it is a smooth runner just a little on the slow side, I don't know about the bachmann engine, I would honestly stay with Atlas, just good smooth engines all around

Great feedback, I greatly appreciate it. Looks like Atlas will be my choice.

I've owned both the new Bachmann S2 with Soundtraxx sound value and the new Atlas with Loksound Select. I liked the Atlas so much that I sold the Bachmann. They both sound great, but the Loksound is better.

The Bachmann also has the cheapinski old school wiper pick up system that rubs the inside of the wheels. It would stall over my turnouts with unpowered frogs. The Atlas is more expensive, but worth the money, IMO.

I also own a nonsound DC version of each new loco. The Bachmann is horribly noisy. The difference in the two locos DC version is wider than the sound version even.

Back