Atlas or Bachmann Alco Switcher?

Burbs

Looking to build a small switching operation to get my "fix" until we buy our home and to make sure that this hobby is for me long term.

I've narrowed my choice down to either an Alco S-2 or S-4 and from my research, Atlas and Bachmann seem to be my only choices. What I am looking for is quality, good sound and realistic slow acceleration.

Can anyone provide some insight?

Thanks,

Chris

I haven't bought a new Bachman engine in years but hear they are rather nice running and the sound/dcc quality is good. I do have a few atlas engines currently and had other in the past. They're excellent engines for the price and quality plus you get in at different levels. More detail = more money. So at least with atlas you can pick what suits you cost and detail wise. I think Bachman leaves some details out but as far as cost goes, they're a good deal. You can find them for probably $75.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any Bachmann's current modern deisels, I do have a Spectrum 2-8-0 steamer and it's great. I have had many Atlas diesels over the years and they are my first choice.

Burbs:

I have purchased many switchers over the past years and now stay with Atlas, Athearn or Proto and found that these manufactures have great products. Never was a fan of Bachman products. My advise is to test run the locos at your favorite hobby store and then make your choice. Testing running a loco at slow speeds will assure you that you will be happy with that specific loco. A new loco that runs great on the test track, will only run better as it gets broken in over time.

Happy shopping.

Greg

I have an Atlas S-2 and it is one sweet locomotive. Smooth and has a lot of detail, but could take some time to put together.

The Atlas S-2s are a new release. The old ones are great, but are probably overpriced on the auction site. You're saying you want to see if the hobby is right for you, so I would go for a non-sound DC Bachmann S-2, available in the $70 range. They are good quality layout locos and the right choice for someone not sure about the hobby long term -- if you give it up, you haven't bankrupted yourself or gone into something too complex. If you keep on with the hobby, it'll serve you very well.

Here is one of mine:

CB&Q 9302 2.jpg

I have an Atlas S-2 and it is a great runner. No sound. I don't have the Bachmann S-2, though I have seen them. They look nice and I have heard good reviews from the modelers who bought them. I do have a Bachmann GP-7 which is very nice, comparable to the Atlas of years ago or Athearn bluebox locos except that the drive is better than the BB Athearns. It is a very smooth runner. I would buy either.

I've narrowed my choice down to either an Alco S-2 or S-4 and from my research, Atlas and Bachmann seem to be my only choices. What I am looking for is quality, good sound and realistic slow acceleration.
I have yet to meet an Atlas locomotive that I didn't like. I have several of the older S-2 and S-4s I think they are all great. I can't imagine the new ones would be less in anyway. They are really smooth creepers. I would assume much of acceleration slowness is going to depend on your throttle and how smooth your hand is.

Acquired a Bachmann S-4 about a year ago but haven't run it yet, so I cannot comment.

We have one of each in our local hobby shop - the Bachmann one is really light in comparison to the Atlas. Something to consider if you plan on pulling much with it ....

Mark.

Have to agree with Mark. I don't know if there is room to add some more weight to the Bachmann, but remember that when it comes to locomotives, weight =pulling power.

We have one of each in our local hobby shop - the Bachmann one is really light in comparison to the Atlas. Something to consider if you plan on pulling much with it ....

Mark.

Because of the sound probably. The Walthers Proto SW-9/1200 was the same way. The non sound units are nice and heavy. The sound units were so light they added traction tires to one axle. It performs acceptably and sounds pretty good. It even consists with the non sound units. So the question becomes, how important is sound to you?

Because of the sound probably. The Walthers Proto SW-9/1200 was the same way. The non sound units are nice and heavy. The sound units were so light they added traction tires to one axle. It performs acceptably and sounds pretty good. It even consists with the non sound units. So the question becomes, how important is sound to you?

I bought the S3 version several years ago in SP scarlet & gray colors even though I no longer model anything past 1956. I think the box said Proto 2000 (pre Walthers) and it was labeled Lifelike on its belly. I had fine detail and it ran extremely well. I also have the Atlas and the Bachman and they are all nice for the price. Some of them lack all the complete grab irons and specific details but that's easy to fix up.

S3-SMALL-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the S3 version several years ago in SP scarlet & gray colors even though I no longer model anything past 1956.

Neither do I but at the club there is a small fleet of bloody nose stuff I like the SW-1500's and MP-15's for example and they fit in nicely at operating sessions. Most of my diesels are tiger stripe or black widow though! Steam is mostly "Southern Pacific" lettering (no "Lines") some "Lines" lettering can still be seen on passenger cars and sleepers still say "Pullman"

Have the new & old Atlas & new Bachmann ALCO S-2 & S-4 models. All are good & quiet runners. Most of the Class 1 RRs got rid of them in the mid 1970s. But they did end up on shortline RRs lasting alot longer. Only problem w/ Bachmann sound is the whistle sound can't be changed because they used the cheaper Soundtraxx decoder. Bought the new Atlas S-2 DCC ready & will add a Loksound decoder. My LHS (RailMaster Hobbies) had demos by Soundtraxx, Tsunami & Loksound. Was very impressed w/ Loksound because quality, variety & extra features of their sounds.
Proto 2000 & Broadway Limited make some good running EMD switchers.

But NONE of those whistles were used on Santa Fe ALCO switchers. Given that Santa Fe is one of the most modeled RRs, why isn't there one that is Santa Fe!
From SFRH&MS:
ALCO and Baldwin Switchers

Most were factory equipped with the Wabco A2 (long bell) sounding D above mid. C.
There might have been a few Wabco A6 applications on the ALCo switchers.

I heard recently there was big todo about Bachmans being crap some years ago but have since turned things around. If that's true I would have to agree. I got no complaints. I'm just coming back into the hobby after about 40 years so I can't and won't speak to that. I have 3 brand new Bachman that run smooth as silk. One not so much. Not quite as quiet as I want but I'll take care that when my lubes come in. I also got a pretty much brand new Atlas GP38 that is unbelievably quiet. And the thing will crawl at step 1 about 1 tie per second. I'm in HO by the way.
The thing just makes no sound - the cat doesn't even hear it... unless the sound card is cranked up and then is just plain old AWESOME! Yeah, I never had sound in any of my old stuff so that was a real treat!

My fortunate experience, being limited as it is, they all seem to be good these days. Sure ain't like the old days.
Best of luck to ya.
E.

Back